Picking up hdtv tomorrow, did I choose wisely or should I exchange? Help please, advice needed :-)

Discussion in 'What Is The Best TV For You?' started by Solchitlins, Dec 28, 2015.

1. Solchitlins

Solchitlins
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi there. I need some expert advice for an average low tech Joe, like me.
    I bought a lemon 4k set that was broken out of the box, no sound through back speakers or optical to my sound bar. Colors were fushia on netflix through my blueray or wii...etc..
    I returned it and ordered a 50" Samsung J6200.
    Samsung J6200 Review (UN40J6200, UN50J6200, UN55J6200, UN60J6200, UN65J6200)
    I figured my mediocre internet connection, couple year old blueray player, and outdated wii, couldn't handle the 4k set and I'd probably be happier with a 120hz 1080p set. I paid $470 after taxes for an open boxed unit.
    Fast forward a couple days and bestbuy put the 55" on sale and I figured the larger set was worth another $70 after taxes to me so I ordered it.
    Now it's ready to be picked up and I'm not sure I made the right choice.
    I see that I could get a 55" Sharp 4k set for just a bit more. The Sharp UB30U.
    Sharp UB30U Review (LC-43UB30U, LC-50UB30U, LC-55UB30U, LC-65UB30U)
    And there are some other 50-55", 4k deals in the $400 to $600 range to consider as well.

So far the J6200 has been ok. We mainly stream Amazon prime and Netflix, occasionally download movies and throw them on a flash drive. Occasionally rent a blueray... and get about 20 channels of tv for free... going on 3 years without cable.

Even now the smart tv features occasionally freeze up or warn that our bandwidth is low and asks if we want to continue etc... The newer shows look pretty great in amazon prime like recent survivor seasons but older seasons look like crap. It's frustrating. Our main entertainment is streaming tv shows, we usually pick a show and watch every season then move on to another show.

I just learned about the possibility of getting a Amazon stick with Kodi and this sounds great for us.

So what should I do? Should I stick with the 1080p and get the kodi device, maybe up my bandwidth a bit... or should I get an entry level 4k tv and get a 4k streaming device, upgrade blueray and bandwidth etc.....
    It seems daunting and I want to stay around $600 total.

Any advice is appreciated

Oh I should maybe add that the only gaming we really do is the occasional game of Mario Cart or Zelda on our Wii, we aren't really gamers at all.

2. Solchitlins

Solchitlins
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Update......I'm still not sure what route I'll end up going. I decided to stop looking at 4k tvs for sure. And I decided to think about streaming devices down the road and not worry about those now. So, as of now my choices look like this: 1. Just keep the 50" Samsung J6200 I paid $450 for and cancel the exchange. 2. Go through with the exchange and get the 55" Samsung J6200 for $522. 3. Try to get my coupon back and buy the Sharp Roku 50" set LC-50LB371U for about $345. Honestly the Sharp 50" is looking tempting just because of the prospect of saving a bit of money and the reviews don't look that bad. Sharp LC-LB371U series (Roku TV, 2015) review - CNET I could play with the built in roku for a while and decide what features I want in a streaming device etc....

3. Giblets2

Giblets2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +183
    Whether 4K is a good idea or not for you is down to viewing distance really. If you're further than a couple of metres away then 1080 is fine so save your money - unless you're heading in the 65"+ direction at any rate. I'd seriously consider an OLED though, if not now when they come down in price.