• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Picking up foreign tv on digital freeview

morp

Standard Member
Hi. Back in the 1980s I used to be able to pick up Dutch tv. We lived in Norfolk and during the summer manually tuning on the spare channels on an old black and white I could get a good picture but no sound. My question is though with my new freeview digital tv when it scans is there any way it could pick up foreign terrestrial digital transmissions.

Tight Git

Distinguished Member
Depends where you are and in which direction your aerial points.

Here on the Sussex coast we pick up French tv continuously and Netherlands when there's a "lift" on.

morp

Standard Member
Well I live in Leeds now so no chance of anything foreign being picked up on the auto scan, although maybe I could pick up regional variations like Manchester. I just wanted to know if digital works the same way as analogue used to when it came to picking up foreign channels. I guess it depends on how much European countries use terrestrial digital transmissions and if their digital transmissions are the same frequency as ours.

avhpmassive

If you're high up in Leeds, you might stand a chance of picking up Granada by swinging your aerial about 80 degrees to the right, not that there's much point these days...

morp

Standard Member
Thanks for the info but my tv has inbuilt freeview [ no box or ariel] and I live in a block of flats. Im not very clued up on digital but Im guessing Id need to get on the flats roof and spin it 80 which would probably affect all the other tennants. Is there any other way of improving my chances of getting more channels? Thanks.

Tight Git

Distinguished Member
I'm not very clued up on digital, but I'm guessing I'd need to get on the flats' roof and spin it 80 degrees which would probably affect all the other tenants.

I think that "probably" should be "definately"!

Is there any other way of improving my chances of getting more channels?

Only by moving to your own property in a better location, which is a bit OTT!

I used to be interested in DxTV when I was a lad, but with all the foreign channels available on satellite, there doesn't seem much point now.

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom