Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Picking Up Denon 3800 this afternoon - anything to look out for?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by klnc, Jan 23, 2003.

1. klnc

klnc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
    Per the title really.... Spoke to the chap in the shop, who said he was going to load the latest firmware upgrades they had received from Denon, but just wondered if anyone had the software version numbers so i can check i've got the latest.

I'm hoping for Pal Prog (not that I have a plasma yet), Multi-region and no chroma bug.

On a similiar vein, does the Multiregion fix also work for RCE and disable macrovision?

thanks

2. Jasonjo

Jasonjo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +115
    have a look here for most of your answers...

www.geocities.com/denon3800

In addition...

MR fix works for RCE, but doesn't disable macrovision to my knowledge (need a hardware mod for that)

Serial number should be 2XX....YYYY

XX will be the month of manufacture, YYYY should be player number (about 1200 ish by now for black)

Nov02 onwards (Ser No. 211XXXXX)should have chroma bug fix firmware preinstalled and firmware upgrades for MR and PALP wont overwrite this.

HTH :)

JJ

3. Jasonjo

Jasonjo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +115
    p.s. ENJOY!!!!!! :D :D :D

4. StJonno

StJonno

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Oncoming traffic ;-)

5. klnc

klnc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
    thanks again... really looking forward to getting it... Unfortunately might have to leave it till saturday now - pesky work getting in the way etc!!:(

6. klnc

klnc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
    Further problem....

Shop just phoned to say when they took it out of the box to upgrade the firmware, it was dead. The only other one they have is the display which they claim has only been out for a "few weeks". Should I bin them, or just get them to knock off a few quid?

7. Jasonjo

Jasonjo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +115
    I would get them to order a brand new one, as the old one could have some problems (some older machines seem to exhibit like freezing etc.)

You could try off the net, but I would try to get it from a local dealer if possible, as I stated in my post.

There is quite a short supply at the moment due to a recent Denon UK theft - so you may have to wait a while for a completely new one...

JJ

8. klnc

klnc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
    You're probably right....

Last point - are there any issues with doing the firmware upgrades yourself? The instructions on that website seem pretty straightforward! - I was just wondering if the player screws up, will denon refuse to correct it?

9. Annatar

Annatar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I too have a 3800.

I have been reading some of the previous post with interest regarding freezing etc.

I have a black 3800, which I was upgraded too from a 2800, due to artifacting problems.

The seriel number I have ends in something like 0218 or something like that( its below 500 anyway).

Ive read somewhere that if your players serial number is under 500, then it has problems? I have not noticed any problems with freezing etc with my player, is this true?

I have contacted Denon, who say they are totally unaware of any problems with the machines.

What is the real story with these players?

10. Jasonjo

Jasonjo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +115
    klnc,

If you have a good local dealer then they may do the upgrade for you - risk free. If you do it yourself and kill the player you could try and get the local delaer to say they upgraded it and it went wrong or you may have to pay denon to sort it out. I dont think Denon would refure, they will just charge and put it back to R2 only...

I haven't heard on any fimrware upgrade issues, quite a lot of members have used the files with no problems at all. Personally I think you are pretty safe doing it yourself if you be careful and follow the instrucvtions to the letter...

JJ

11. Jasonjo

Jasonjo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +115
    Annatar,

Have a look at the news section of my website for info re the possible freezing/laser problems

Denon always deny everyhting :D - I know that Mr Merrick on this forum changed his player due to freezinbg problems with some discs - his player is *reparied* now and seems ok

If your players is ok, relax, if it does have freezing problems then get your dealer to send it back to denon - they will replace the laser (like they do in the US) if you ask them to...Maybe PM MR Merrick for info...

JJ

12. Dom Rice

Dom Rice

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    jasonJo

Hi,

I read a thread that you were part of and mentioned the denon 3800 and pointed ou the 3800 unofficial website. (very interesting)

Do you know where dvd3800 is available from that will have all the latest firmware and chroma fixes applied.

Regards

dominic.

13. Jasonjo

Jasonjo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +115
    take your pick...

www.creative-audio.co.uk
    www.leconcepts.com
    www.discounttv.co.uk
    www.movement-audio.co.uk

Not sure what versions of firmware they will have, but a new machine (>Nov02) should have chroma bug fix installed and they should then be upgrading with Dec02 firmware (or you can download it and apply yourself)

Again, check out my site for more info on version numbers etc. but most dealers should have the latest firmware for MR and PALP etc by now...

JJ

14. Blu-rayx

Blu-rayx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +292
    hi Annatar,

are you saying that now you have the 3800 you don't see any artifact at all ?

dvd

15. Annatar

Annatar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No. you have misunderstood me my friend. The 2800 was awful with artifacts, the 3800 is a lot better. I have to look a lot harder for them, and they do not disturb the viewing of a film.

If I had the choice to choose a player again I definately would not buy a Denon again. Too many problems.

When I buy a DVD player, I don't want to have to keep worrying about Firmware updates, hardware fixes ( possible my laser may need to be replaced! ).

The picture quality in RGB is not as good as my 2800 as lots of Static onscreen ( in my case )
    I have read other posts regarding issues with Panasonic TV's and having to adjust the DVDO (sp ), but I do not have a Panasonic TV. The 2800 used to be fine on my TV and no picture interefrence whatsoever, apart from the artifacts, but this was down to the MPEG decoder. Its connected by a IXOS cable, so why the snow all over the screen?
    Too much trouble and hassle. I certainly don't expect this from a player costing £800 ish pounds.

16. Dom Rice

Dom Rice

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What player would you buy for 800 quid then that has ntsc/pal progressive etc?

17. Annatar

Annatar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you can still get it the Toshiba SD900E

Or the Arcam.

Or i'd wait a little longer, there will be loads of players coming out soon with PAL progsan.

18. Dom Rice

Dom Rice

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Does the Tosh have pal progressive or is it jus tthe arcam at present?

19. Annatar

Annatar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think the Toshiba does Psuedo Pal, whatever that might mean?

20. Jasonjo

Jasonjo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +115
    i.e. not proper PAL-P only NTSC

21. Annatar

Annatar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I really am amazed!

Why are Denon UK so crap at answering emails? My fist one was sent last week, and no reply. i have since then sent another 3, and again, nothing.

Denon UK are AWFUL!:mad:

22. yapota

yapota

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

I actaully bought a Denon 3800 and gave it back a week later as I had a lot freezing problems. The video playback was very good but it was terrible on audio playback for redbook cds. Previously I had a sony 9000es whose redbook cd playback was superb. I have now got an Arcam FMJ DV27 that does both PAL and NTSC progessive scan, is DVD-Audio upgradable and is superb in terms of sound quality. I just never got a straight answer from Denon UK about the freezing problems. In the end I just gave up.

Thanks

Yagnesh

23. Annatar

Annatar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I still have not heard anything from Denon.

They really are BAD :mad:

How can a company treat their customers with such contempt?

24. Jasonjo

Jasonjo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +115
    Have you tried calling them?

Ask for Keith Pradey...

JJ

25. Annatar

Annatar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have finally heard back from Denon UK( hayden )

They want my machine in for testing. No answers to any of my questions.

26. Jasonjo

Jasonjo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +115
    Not good...:(

From my own personal experience, only Arcam have provided support that I felt was valuable when it comes to AV manufacturers...

I think the key is getting a good dealer and then letting them sort out any hassles, if and when you get them, irrespective of the manufacturer. This is one reason why it is better to buy from a local dealer (and build up a good relationship) even if it costs a little more than internet dealers

I have had my 3800 for a few weeks now and played quite a lot of discs without error - the player is a Nov 02 build - I think maybe you have been a little unlucky as I got the impression most issues with the newer build 3800's were resolved

Hope you get things sorted...

JJ

27. perka

perka
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Yes, with the internet and the new economy service is the reason of being for the local dealers. If they do not live up to this, you might aswell save the money and buy from a internet dealer.

perka