Question Picking the right sub (hifi stereo)

BarKohba

Hello Everyone

I'm planning on adding a couple of subs to my Triangle Quartet Genese floorstanders. According to the manufacturer (and many other reviews with lab tests), their +\-3db point is between 35-37hz.

That means that the subs that I'll be using are going to be working in the 20hz-45hz (approx) freq range, along my towers which of course will go full range.

Now, I'm not necessarily on a budget, but wherever there's no point in buying something much more expensive for doing a specific job, I'm happy.

Currently I'm looking at two stereo sub options, on which I got a similar deal: 2x SVS SB1000s (25hz +\- 3db), or 2x Yamaha NS-SW700 (20hz +\- 3db). I know SVS are respected sub manufacturers, but the Yammis are no slouch, most of their higher end subwoofer (but even the SW700), like the SW901 or SW1000 got rave reviews on many audiophile publications, such as stereoplay.de, and stereo.de (both from Germany), and these guys put the gear through a whole series of tests, etc, and they show all the graphs reports and so on (unlike something like WhatHiFi, which offers very superficial articles instead of reviews).

In any case, I'm leaning a bit towards the SW700 for two reasons: it goes all the way down to 20hz vs SVS's 25hz, AND, even more importantly, it's probably the best looking sub I've seen - google it, with the piano black finish.

HOWEVER, I'm left wondering - considering I'm looking for a STEREO pair of subs, and I'm planning to run them from 20 to 45hz (max), in a 30 sq meter room, what benefit would I get in buying something that costs double the money or even more (also for 2 pairs), like the SVS-SB3000 or Yamaha NS-SW901 (or even the slightly cheaper SV-SB2000) ?

This is not so much a question for these specific models, but rather a more general question about what can I expect, and is it worth paying 2x, 2.5x the amount on subwoofers, considering they all go down to 20hz, and I'm running them up to 45hz ?

ShanePJ

AVForums Sponsor
My thoughts on this are that if you're amplifier and speaker are fast and responsive, then you need to ensure that the woofer really matches the stop start ability (which usually comes at a cost - how much will depend upon how dynamic you need them/it). I'm a firm believer of using a high level input to in place of line-in RCA's but that's more a personal thing which if an woofer is allowed to convert all the signal then that's fine

The room isn't overly large, but do make sure you are using a 10" driver as a minimum. As for frequency roll-off use the speaker frequencies as a guide and if you set it so you can hear it, you will notice that it will change the dynamics of your speakers whereas if you tune it just right, then you shouldn't even notice its in the system until you power it down then you'll notice a void across the entire speakers sound

I've been playing around with this side around for almost 20 years (makes me feel a bit old now that :rolleyes:) and I would add that I've never used my own system with two woofers (space is the main factor), however logic says you can only add more dynamics to the room with two woofers over one. I would feel that you would also have to take a little more time when setting up

Rel have some great video clips of setup for you to watch if you need a little help

Stereo woofer pair, single woofer placement explained plus many other variations

When setting up, I always use a CD with real bass and not electronically generated via a modern keyboard (although CD's like "limit to your love" by James Blake has so serious bass on it), so double bass, bass guitar or something of that nature if you haven't got a CD like above.

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: Streaming Theatrical Releases And The Future Of Cinema
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom