Picking REARS is a nightmare...ur opinion!?

craynerd

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi guyz,

Well i got my denon2106 like some of u suggested, and i got my tannoy mx3s and mxc since i spent over budget on my amp but they are fantastic! Now i need my my sub and rears to make up my 5.1. A few of you recommended the tannoy mx1s or mxrs to match my fronts but since they are discontinued i can no longer get them and after two weeks with nothing coming up on here or ebay the money is burning a hole in my pocket, besides i want to use them!!

So...my question is what new (so i can buy them without trouble) rear speakers should i get?

The major major thing with me is i gotta keep the mrs happy or she`ll flip, so they have to be small or very compact like the mission m77ds style, like with a flat back or definately in some way compact! There is little room behind my sofa so its an issue anyway!normal bookshelfs like mx1 are still too big. So they either need to be flat against the wall or ceiling mounted or sats so i can put them in between ceiling and wall.

Any help...please i`m getting really fed up with looking!

Another problem....budget....cheap as possible BUT QUALITY...i`d like to spend no more than £250..may push more if something is highly recommended!

Chris

Get some M7ds, the backs don't need to match as much as the fronts so this would be a good choice, you could get some 77DS there not as flat as either the M7 or M3DS but the sound may be better, these are always going either on this forum or ebay.

yea, i was put off after i realised they were much bigger than i thought...can they be ceiling mounted?

I don't have much experience with rear speakers, but I narrowed my choice down to the Monitor Audio BFX, which really look pretty nice, not too big; or, Wharfedale Diamond 9DFS, which are maybe slightly bigger. I went for the Wharfedales since they have kevlar drivers, the same as my Quad fronts.

Both are wall mounted (with flat backs) & are bipolar giving a good spread with sounds, as well as having directionality as well. The BFX can be wired as dipolars, if wanted, giving even more of a spread of sound.

I found the Wharfedales were good with music & films.

Wharfedales are about £150. MA BFX are about £165

T.

ps. Both of the above will sound best when placed about 2 1/2 feet above ear level if mounted on rear wall that is close to back of your sofa.

will it make a difference what rears i select since i will be mounting them on the side walls! since my room is a living room kitchen appartment room therefore my back wall is about 10ft behind me and is the kitchen area ..

i can recommend the SFX (level up from the BFX that Timbo mentioned).....not a whole lot bigger than the BFX, but much more competent sound....very good dispersion, and switchable so you can have bi or dipolar.......they are wall mountable with a kit you get with them......and because the new RSFX's are out, you should be able to pick up a pair cheap, either brand new or ex-demo....im sure i saw them in my Sevenoaks for about £250....i could be wrong, but at that price they are a steal (normal price was £400)

dunno how well they would integrate with your main speakers, but they are fast and cope well with swift panning....

its worth getting bipolar type speakers in your case, having that much space behind you will allow them to fill the whole area with sound :)

Bipoles to the side of your sitting position would be suitable. I got some DFS 18's from HiFi Bitz for £50 (serious reduction on RRP) earlier this year and I rate them. I had monopoles at the side before and the bipoles give a fuller sound that is less directional.

monopoles, or conventional stereo speakers as they are more commonly known..heh... are good at the sides pointing straight at you if your sofa is stuck right up against the back wall.....then they can actually give you a sense of sound behind for some strange reason........but yes, if you have room behind you then they just seem to beam the sound at you directly which isnt so good...

knyght...yea at £250 they look a good price and a good recomendation! Just looking on the net to order and they are all £400 mark!

Also, are there any SILVER ones ??, its confusing me, most pairs say Silver, but then have a picture of a black set :S

Chris

oops now i feal like a prat! Its the silver series , not silver colour :D

lol..heh

yeah, silver series, sadly they only do those in black top i think, possibly white top....
the GRFX are available in wooden top colours as well, but they WAAAY above your budget...lol

you will need to check the Special Offers section of the sevenoaks website ( click www.ssav.com i think then choose Special Offers) and you put in what you are looking for, so choose surround speakers and Monitor Audio, dont choose area to begin with, it should show you any SFX's available ex-demo etc.....

or if not phone up the nearest stores to you and ask if they would be willing to hold back their SFX for you when they get the new RSFX in store for demo's....with a bit of luck they should offer them up fairly cheap as they are old line and ex-demo....

and they wont have seen a massive amount of use because they are rear speakers :)

It seems Peter Tyson have the SFX for £199! Not bad. :thumbsup:

T.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom