• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Picking A Projector Screen

Rocketrazor

Hi All,

I'm thinking of making the jump from 50" Plasma screen to a projector screen in my lounge and I'm after some advise. I've read lots on here, some of it I understand and has been very useful, some just make me more confused!

My lounge is 3.3m by 4.1m, however the 4.1m is a massive (almost floor to ceiling) window one end with a radiator under it and open plan into my dinning room the other end. If I were to use either of these I could use a ceiling built in screen, however if I use the 3.3m wall it's a wall mounted drop down screen. I have very light wallpaper and due to the open plan nature it is harder to reduce light from different places.

I wish to use the projector for films, gaming and some series on Blu-Ray (GOT, Vikings, The Last Kingdom etc). I was looking at the Sony VPL-HW45ES as I'm happy with 1080p and a 3D nut, 3D is very very important in this decision process! Plus 4K projectors are just way to expensive. I was thinking a 16:9 screen as it is multi purpose and the 45es doesn't have memory zoom I can't be adjusting it all the time.

A few things I'm not clear on after reading other posts and other things in my head

1. Do I go along a wall or place the screen mid air in between the lounge and dinning room? Mid air would give me a bigger screen (120")
2. In order to get a 90" or 120" screen on either wall I'm having to crank the zoom right up, I read somewhere that this impacts the projector brightness?
3. I'm well and truly confused with screen grain, what should I be looking at, higher or lower?
4. Tab tensioned or not? How much difference does it make? I'm guessing if I went for the mid air option I would need a tab tensioned screen? But if I had it on the wall I could probably get away with a non-tab tensioned pull down screen (saving some money!)

I've looked at different threads and have noted that the recommended screen size is between 1.2 and 1.6 of the screen diameter or 2.4 of the screen height, both come in at roughly the same size and both of the 90" or 120" work well. Also note I want to keep my existing floor standing speakers which leaves me only 1.49m from ceiling to the top of the speaker.

Any help or advise greatly appreciated

Cheers

Rocket

swiftpete

Distinguished Member
Why don't you put your speakers either side of the screen instead of under it?
If you're going for a 120 inch screen you won't need any more than 1.0 gain.
If you have a fully blacked out light controlled room, get a white screen, otherwise get a grey one for better black levels.
I wouldn't personally have a screen hanging down in the middle of the room I think it would look odd. Just my opinion.

IWC Dopplel

Distinguished Member
Not sure how old your house is but I think shutters well made are excellent at removing light during the day. I made sure the clearance were kept to a minimum and its very good indeed.

Regarding screen choice, I would go for white 1.0 gain personally and really pay attention to light control. You can do this without making things oppressive and too unappealing to the other half. I think your sizing makes sense. One point of note I would happily go with a bigger screen if I was choosing today and my screen is 134", I used this in a narrower room before the previous house was 12.5 foot wide by 19.5 for long and I placed the front speaker either side of the screen, I have to choose my height to clear the centre my screen is 24" of the ground

I am also a fan of getting the best you can out of the set up. Really good tab tensioned screens are very expensive and still nowhere near as good as a fixed screen. Id think about how to mount a fixed screen and 'hide' it rather than have an expensive less good tab mentioned screen

IWC Dopplel

Distinguished Member
PS Why is 3D important? it's expensive to get right and very much yesterdays technology, some would say another 'whim' like curved TV's

linnasak

Bigger screens increase the importance of tab tensioning. Basically to get flat non wrinkled surface. I would look at second hand brand options as well. You can then get much better screen for the cost of a new cheap screen.

Generally I would go for electric screen that can drop down in front of wall mounted tv (for casual daytime viewing). Have had screen come down in front of window in past but very impacted if you can’t get perfect curtain blackout eg light leaking through or above curtains. Also try to have dark walls behind.

Kevin

Rocketrazor

Thanks all, this is still very much in planning process but appreciate the help. @IWC Dopplel I love nothing better than watching my films in 3D. For me it makes them feel better and I enjoy the experience more.

Cheers

Rocket

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom