Question Picking a 55" TV for my room

Discussion in 'What Is The Best TV For You?' started by Ikari, Jul 15, 2018.

1. Ikari

Ikari
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So I decided on a 55" as it's the best for the space in my room, if I don't want to move some shelves around. I feel OLED is a bit too expensive for my budget at the moment and it feels prices will continue to drop and technology will improve in the meantime.

Now I'm torn between a budget LED LCD or a midrange model. One option is last year's Philips 55" budget series - 6162 costs 460 euros (or 470 for the 6262 that comes with the ambilight-2). Downside, it's an IPS panel and uses the old Philips Smart TV platform, which is slow and clunky or so I have heard.

Other option is this year's 7503 model that comes with the P5 processor and it's a VA panel (oh and it's an Android TV). However it is edge lit and I have found people complaining about banding issues, no idea how serious I should take this, will this vary between each set (I'm sure the budget model isn't immune to variation, but at 240 EUR less, I'd also be less annoyed).

I suppose another contender is last year's Sony 55EX7005, which I belive is a VA panel? No frills TV, retails for 640 eur here or 590 across the border (might be able to get it VAT free, so that would lower it down to 490 EUR). Or the KD55XE8096 is 700 EUR across the border, but I haven't researched this model yet.

I have ruled out LGs due to their RGBW panels and so far haven't really gotten into Samsung sets (Panasonics seem to be a bit meh on the lower end, feel free to correct me and suggest a model/range to check if there are deals/what's available). On paper the 7503 Philips looks great (and would show at least some HDR benefits). On the lower end, if I could get it sans tax, the 55EX7005 would likely be a better choice than the cheapest Philips is my guess?

2. Hixs

Hixs
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,184
    Samsung MU7000
    Sony XE70/80

They'd be my picks for a decent tv on a budget.

3. Ikari

Ikari
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Oh right, I remember why I discounted Samsung, I missed their 5 year warranty promotion. Oh well, the MU7000 included in the promotion wasn't on sale it seems.

UE55NU7102 is the same price point as the Sony XE70, that is 590 euros. It's edge lit though, same as the new Philips, would the new Philips warrant the extra 100 euros? I suppose not, but then again, possibly Philips is underrepresented in the UK?

Will see if I can get the XE70 at a discount, seems like a very well rounded budget TV.

4. zeppelino

zeppelino

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,209
    Edge lit doesn’t matter at this end of the market - there’ll be no local dimming. Avoid that NU Samsung, it’s lack of wide colour gamut means it’s very poor with hdr content.

5. Ikari

Ikari
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Oh, it's not wide color gamut? I assume that goes for the XE70 Sony as well (for the low end Philips it's a given). I know Sony calls their screen Triluminous or something, I assume that's their fancy way of saying wide color gamut capable?

The 7503 Philips does have:
    • Micro Dimming Pro
    However it being an edge lit unit, I have my doubts how well it's implemented. So far I have only read about Sony 9 series edge lit units having a decent local dimming implementation compared to direct lit models. Here's the listing in English:

Buy the Philips 7500 series 4K Ultra-Slim TV powered by Android TV 55PUS7503/12 4K Ultra-Slim TV powered by Android TV

6. Dodgexander

Dodgexander

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,411
    Don't be fooled by false claims of local dimming by manufacturers. They slap on local dimming as eagerly as HDR.

At this end of the market local dimming and HDR really shouldn't be much of a consideration. Both will be poor.

I see you're from Slovenia so pricing and availability may be different there. I also would like to ask where you're getting your panel info from because if it's displayspecifications.com there's a good chance it's wrong. Phillips usually use IPS panels and whilst they did tell flatpanelshd.com that 90% of the new 7 series would be VA I wouldn't trust it. Especially when they don't specify exact models.

Now in the UK at least would be a good time to try and pick up a 2017 model on clearance discount compared to a new 2018 model that are usually overpriced. I'm guessing it's not too different pricing in Slovenia either since you already compared the NU7100 (last year mu6100) to last years MU7000 (this year NU8000).

Yes Samsung model names are confusing.

First you need to ask what panel type you need, then it's easier to make a decision. If you don't need wide viewing angles you'll get better overall picture quality from a TV with a VA panel.

If you don't need an IPS panel I would check prices on the following and post them here;

Samsung 55MU7000, 55MU8000 and MU9000
    Hisense 55NU8700, 55N6800, 55U7A
    LG A7 OLED
    Panasonic 58EX750 and 58EX700
    Sony 55XE85xx series

Likely the best deal will be one of these. Probably the MU7000.

7. Ikari

Ikari
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Panasonic 58EX700 is 775 euros
    Hisense 55N6800 is 900 euros
    Sony 55EX85 is 950 euros
    Samsung 55MU700 is 900 euros
    A7 is 1200 euros? Yeah...

I think I can do without the wider viewing angles and I understand that HDR is more of a marketing selling point at this price range than an actual feature, sets can accept the signal but the hardware just isn't capable of displaying it. At this price point a good panel is what I should look for is what I'm guessing.

There's a Panasonic 55EX613E for 500 euros (IPS it seems), so similarly priced to the Philips 55PUS6162 and a Sharp 55CUG8052E, same price. This is the bottom end though. I'm vary of going above 700 euros, at one point might as well save up a month or two more and get an OLED.

Edit: Panasonic seems underwhelming:

Panasonic TX-55EX600 : de la UHD d'entrée de gamme

Sony EX70 does indeed seem to be a pretty good choice

Sony KD-55XE7005 : un bon téléviseur de milieu de gamme

Last edited: Jul 16, 2018
  8. Dodgexander

Dodgexander

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,411
    If you can up the budget Sony 55XE85 is the best value there, only 50 extra Euro than the Samsung MU7000 for a good anti reflection filter is great.

Other models in your last post are pretty overpriced, especially the Panasonic, Hisense and LG A7 - surprising how different pricing can be.

At circa 600 EUR the Sony XE70xx series is good value too, it may not have a wide colour gamut but when HDR capabilities of even the best TVs with HDR you are considering is only going to be at best average it's not a bad idea to save money.

I have no idea about the Sharp, I think Hisense own them so maybe its a Hisense rebadge or possible a Vestel made TV.

9. Ikari

Ikari
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    From the cheapo Samsung lineup, the 55MU6172 is on sale for 570 EUR here. The reason Philips 7503 is attractive, not only is it this year's model, the price is a lot lower compared to some other markets nd comes with a decent array of features. The 6162 series has the obsolete Smart TV, coworker has the 65 inch and he's not too happy with it.

Market differences are pretty interesting price wise and frustrating due to model availability. Especially since the EU market gets shafted by not getting some of the great budget sets the US gets.

Oh, seems I can get 55XE7096 locally for 600 EUR, also seems like a decent deal like you said. I figure I can use this for a few years until OLED is more affordable and then get a 65 OLED for that full cinematic experience.

And seems my ISP is offering 55PUS7303 for 24x25 EUR which is 600 EUR, rather tempting.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2018
  10. Ikari

Ikari
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Visited the local electronics store chains, suffice to say their TV presentation is underwhelming. There's a one day sale of the 65EX7005 for 950 euros today (goes for 1000 usually) but I think I'll pass.

I did however see the Hisense 55N6800 on clearance for 640 euros (and 65 for 290 more). Sadly the store demos are... useless. The 7503 Philips deal is great cause it's 24x25 EUR interest free installments, just tacked on my ISP bill.

Friend of mine knows the local Philips distributor, maybe I'll get some backchannel info how good the Philips sets are, otherwise the Hisense at Harvey Norman is might tempting. *sigh* so much to choose from.

11. Dodgexander

Dodgexander

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,411
    Do you mean the Sony 65XE7005? That isn't great value at all if so.

The Philips is an interesting one, flatpanelshd.com were told by their Philip's contact that 90% of their 7 series models will be VA panels...I'm a little skeptical of that and have seen manufacturer reps make false claims many times before. Certainly if you can find out from him about which panel comes on the TV and if it comes with a VA panel snap it up.

This assumes of course you favor VA from IPS.

If it is IPS I think the Hisense 55N6800 is better value.

12. Ikari

Ikari
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah it's just an extra 50 euro off.

7503 is supposedly a "true" 10bit panel and 7303 uses 8bit+FRC but I think everyone is quoting that displayspecifications website which has no source listed at all. The 7503 has 1700 picture quality index (whatever the hell Philips means by that) compared to 1600 for 7303, I think 7503 has 400 nits officially and is an edge lit unit while the 7303 is direct lit and has max 350 nit brightness. 7503 has that soundbar thing which I don't care for at all (dolby Atmos sounds fairly useless feature for a TV as well).

Given the contrast differences, I think I'll opt for a VA panel since I'll mount the TV on the wall using an adjustable stand.

I do have to say I'm really disappointed in demos at the stores. They could feed all TV the same 4K signal, but majority of them were showing some rather sad looking broadcast so it was next to impossible to compare. Should have asked my friend before heading there and did what he had done, bring my own USB key with 4K content. Live and learn.

13. Dodgexander

Dodgexander

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,411
    Panel bit depth and lighting system mean next to nothing on TVs at this price range. PQI is a made up figure by Philips and not reliable for a comparison. As does brightness unless you know you have problems with ambient light. Brightness is too dim on both TVs for any kind of decent HDR and more than good enough for all but the brightest of rooms for SDR.

14. Ikari

Ikari
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for all the input, got the 7303 Philips since it's direct lit and VA panel, at 24x25 EUR 0% installments tacked onto my internet bill with no contract extensions to tie me up (unless I switch ISPs then I have to pay the remainder), pretty happy with my purchase. Aside from not being able to clean the screen, despite getting the Philips cleaning liquid, oh well. :) Android TV is kinda meh, but Kody is pretty handy, thought I have a small Pentium silver PC that will handle multimedia.

Just noticed that a local webstore is selling the Samsung UE55NU7172 for 569 EUR (plus 10 EUR coupon), how do these two compare? I am guessing fairly similarly and both have descriptions coated with a good amount of BS?

15. georgijlv

georgijlv

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    The LG A7 must be named as lg 55eg9a7, it is full hd oled, there in Latvija the prices started from 900Eur

16. Dodgexander

Dodgexander

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,411
    Depends how the panel type compares. Spec wise they are similar. Smart TV more restricted with apps so no Kodi but faster and more responsive on Samsung.. But with ads :(

Samsung swap panels more than Philips and Philips swap panels a lot. Are you certain your TV comes with VA?

17. Ikari

Ikari
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Is there any way to tell for sure if it's VA or IPS? I called the local Philips phone number and their rep said VA (did say the call was recorded so I got proof, if it turned out to be false).

Still annoyed I'm not able to clean the screen *sigh*

18. Dodgexander

Dodgexander

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,411
    The customer service departments don't usually know that info or they give out false information.
    You should read IPS vs VA: Comparing LCD types found in TVs and see the tell-tail signs of each technology.

Failing that, the most conclusive way would be to take a very up close zoomed picture with a camera of the TVs pixel structure like this, usually smartphones don't zoom in far enough and you'll need to use a camera with a zoom lens:
    [​IMG]

19. Ikari

Ikari
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Not the best photo but looks more like VA?

[​IMG]

20. Dodgexander

Dodgexander

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,411
    Yes:thumbsup: