Picked the Panny 50" - last few Q's

rscott4563

Standard Member
Reaction score
Well the decision has been made its going to be a Panasonic TH50PHW6, sadly Fujitsu let themselves down by taking away the DVI input on their new 50" and Pioneer's 504 MXE is too long to wait....

I have a couple of last minute questions before I flash the plastic and I hope someone on here can help...

1)Are there any limitaions to what inputs the standard D15 VGA input can accept, in resolution or refresh rate.

2)Can the RGBHV/Component board (see below) do anything/accept anything that the standard D15 VGA input can't (and so is it worth paying for?)?

TY-42TM6Y_Input_Board.jpg

3)It says on the Panasonic datasheet that the 50PHW6 can't accept a native pixel resolution via RGB unless its on the DVI port (see below), does this mean that you can't feed it a 1366 x 768 via the VGA input or the RGBHV/Component board?? I'm sure I've seen peoples posts saying that they had done this and at various refresh rates??

Input_Modes.jpg

I thinks thats all that I'm still not a 100% sure about, though I may be back to add some more as they come to me, I really appreciate everyones help in getting me this far and if I can just clarify these last few points then I can get it bought, finally... :D

Also does anyone know the cheapest place to get a price match with on the 50PHW6, doesn't matter who it is just as long as its cheap, I'm going to use Barclaycards price promise...

Cheers

Ryan :smashin: :smashin:

Ryan,

Not 100% sure on your answers, but I will have a go as no-one else has responded :)

1. Check out the manual, it has a full list of supported modes for the VGA input.

http://www.panasonic.be/shop/data/user_manual/plasma/IM-TH-42PWD6.pdf

2. The 6Y board adds S-Video and composite inputs, in addition to the component/RGBHV inputs. Dont think this input adds anything else as the 5 x BNC can carry both YUV and RGBHV, same as the VGA input which also supports YUV and RGBHV. I plan to use both input terminals on my 42PWD6 when it gets here, the VGA input for DVD using YUV and the 6Y board for conencting the IScan via YUV or RGBHV.

3. Sorry, unsure about the DVI.

It may be best to have a look at the manuals anyhow...maybe this will help?

Cheers

JJ

Thanks for the replys guys, gonna flash the plastic later today!! :D :clap: :smashin:

Decided against getting the S-Video/Component/RGBHV board and am going to put everything through the HD15 PC input instead, via my Lumagen Vision (it accepts Composite/S-Video/Component/RGBHV anyway so it seems the most sensible, not to mention cost effective option).

The only bad thing now is the wait...... could be 2 weeks or so!! :(

Its soooo unfair......

Cheers

Ryan :smashin: :smashin:

I'm getting near to finishing my setup and have a few last cable issues to clear up and wouild really appreciate some help.

The cables I still need are a:

Scart cable to go from my Tivo to my JS RGB 2 S-Video converter, less than 1m if possible. ~ £25

Scart to S-Video cable to go from JS RGB 2 S-Video converter to 3803, less than 1m if possible. ~ £25

S-Video cable to go from 3803 to Lumagen Vision, less than 1m if possible. ~ £25

Component cables to go from 2800MKII to 3803 and 3803 to Lumagen, less than 1m (going to get them from Mark Grant). ~ £40

Audio interconnect, from Tivo to 3803, less than 1m. ~ £25

I'm looking for good quality but I don't want to spend a fortune and as all runs are very short, I don't really see the need to.

Would really appreciate any advice of what to get and where from, I'd be happy to get second hand if anyone has any going, but I'll wait to see whats suggested new before putting a wanted ad in the classifieds.

Cheers

Ryan

For a price match ivojo have the 50PHW6 for £4,816.33 plus £100 delivery. That was the cheapest I could find it for just after Xmas.

I've actually ordered from Ivojo, even though they were the cheapest I've found up till now, they're also very good to deal with, have the shortest wait time, and so it seemed the best choice in the end.

My only quandry now is in regards to my cabling needs, as stated above.

Cheers

Ryan

Have a look at these at RS Components. I haven't tried them, but they look the part and are reasonably priced.

Note if the link does not work, try a search for TST.

I don;t think they have any component cables.

I made myself some with Canare phonos and BNC (crimped), and some Van Damme 75 ohm cable. Works very well, better than a £90 cable a friend was using. I'm happy to make you up some if you cover the cost of material and postage (about £20 for 3x1m), but just noticed you have plans for these already.

Just had confirmation from Ken (ivojo) that my 50PHW6 is in and so will definitely be delivered on Monday :D , so my cable issues are really getting urgent now, so any advice would be really helpful.

Cheers

Ryan

Had an update from Ken, plasma will be delivered Tuesday now as otherwise it would have had to be in the couriers depot over the weekend and this was not recommended, so Tuesday it is... :clap:

My cabling issues are nearly sorted now, but I just need to get a 0.5m Scart to S-Video cable and a 0.5m Audio (Stereo) Interconnect.

Anyone know where I could get these, looking for good quality, probably around £15 - £30 each

Cheers

Ryan

Well it will be with me tomorrow morning and I have one cable still needed, I need to get hold of a 0.5m Scart to S-Video cable asap, anyone??

Cheers :smashin:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom