• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Pick a 40-42 inch TV for me, from this list please?

Wise Bat

Established Member
Hi,

Really can't decide on which TV to get and been debating on which model for ages now. 40-42 inch which ever gives me best quality image and value for money.

Used mainly for movies, gaming, sport so 100hz is a def.

Models are as follows;

LCD TV
LG 42LD550 - £550
LG 42LH4010 - £550
LG 42LF7700 - £600
Sony 40EX503 - £650
Samsung LE40C650 - £680

LED TV
LG42LE5300 - £700

Price above are the cheapest I have found over web. Obviously the cheaper the purchase the better, but going for say the LG models will I lose quality?

I know some of the above have freeview HD or Freesat but not too worried about that, getting Sky HD and already own freesat HD box.

Cheers :thumbsup:

vickster

Distinguished Member
LG aren't the best - poor blacks specifically. The LF7700 is definitely one to avoid as it is now an old model with Freesat bolted on and the LH4010 is also old from last year. Of these, I'd look at the the EX503 or the C650 - very similar really, just depends which of the additional features you may use and which you prefer the styling of. I assume you have looked at them all for yourself in a decent AV shop?

Personally, I don't see the advantage of LED unless thiness is a KEY need

Price may be a driving factor, but I'd also want an extended warranty for peace of mind personally

For your uses, I'd also consider plasma - eg Panasonic 42S20 or even the 720p X20 for better motion handling and more natural picture than LCD

MartiniB

Established Member
LCD with LED Dirrect Backlite - Philips 40pfl5605h

The latest video from AVForums

Spielberg, Shyamalan, Aronofsky, Chazelle, Eddie Murphy and Mel Gibson - all the latest movies
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom