Picard Season 2

VisionMan

Distinguished Member
One thing that’s always annoyed me is immediate reaction to Qs appearances, the inevitable voicing of “Q” in that tone. I get it, it just annoys me.

Aunty Jane!

Not all Q's are annoying (ST Voyager). But can be a source of humor and unbelievably a sense of morality.

Its only Picard he pissed off because Picard didn't like him and he fell for it. Mind you in Q's first appearances in ST he was written as a total prick but then evolved into a new different character. Then Q appeared in DS9 and look what happened there. :D

Last edited:

RebelScum

Aunty Jane!

Not all Q's are annoying (ST Voyager). But can be a source of humor and unbelievably a sense of morality.

Its only Picard he pissed off because Picard didn't like him and he fell for it. Mind you in Q's first appearances in ST he was written as a total prick but then evolved into a new different character. Then Q appeared in DS9 and look what happened there. :D

I didn’t say Q was annoying.

RebelScum

I know. :) You said it was the immediate reaction to Qs appearances. By that do you mean Picards?

Yeah, not just Picard’s though, and not just in the season 2 teaser trailer. It was pretty much the same reaction every time he initially appeared to anyone on the Enterprise. That initial reaction became formulaic. I still enjoyed the episodes anyone, but that formulaic aspect annoyed me.

Captain Ron

Picard season 1 was okay at best and pretty dire at worst. It was saved by Patrick Stewart and Brent Spiner always being watchable. The ancillary crew characters were really poorly developed with only the Captain being vaguely interesting. Data's daughters were uninspiring and the Romulan sibs were utterly dire. I have heard there is going to be a completely different set of writers on board for future seasons. First lot definitely needed firing so i'll give it a chance.

raduv1

Distinguished Member
I do not tend to to delve to deep into the Trek universe but I have to admit that all that I loved about it is gone and pushed aside .

Picard first season did a great job in ripping apart the federation next generation and its captains legacy in it .

Picard or Discovery is everything that Star Trek is not, both are actually anti Trek in style scope and purpose . There is such a backwards step in these shows that is now and not what the original series aspired to .

Fudge you Picard for that extra income in old age at the expense of that next generation that held onto the Fedaration .

I always thought the Trek universe to be a rather diverse mix from the start of the original series to next gen . Seems not as we now have to take apart and dismantle them years of a white bald man at the helm and reduce that time into a narrative of only his mistakes and shortcomings .

Short change indeed ...

Last edited:

Coulson

Distinguished Member
I always thought the Trek universe to be a rather diverse mix from the start of the original series to next gen . Seems not as we now have to take apart and dismantle them years of a white bald man at the helm and reduce that time into a narrative of only his mistakes and shortcomings .

Short change indeed ...
Cultured acting, layered story telling. A reminder:

RebelScum

Multi-layered indeed, it’s been argued Picard abused his position in that episode. Given what had happened previously, he knew full well she’d have a strong need to come good and validate his faith in her.

Coulson

Distinguished Member
Multi-layered indeed, it’s been argued Picard abused his position in that episode. Given what had happened previously, he knew full well she’d have a strong need to come good and validate his faith in her.
I can see both sides of the argument as I'm sure you can too. I don't know if the writers intended it that way but it is indeed multilayered :)

lordOfTime

Agreed. A more gently surprised and curious “Q” would have been better, and more consistent with how we left him in AGT. Rather than the usual brusque ‘not you again’ tone that is just there for fan service.

I disagree. I think by the time we get to 7 years of character development there’s bound to be some level of understanding between Picard and Q, but even at the end, Picard is at great pains to stress its the last time he finds himself in the court room. (I hope we do get him there just to he how he reacts. 😂)

but my point is, Q has and always annoy Picard and I think his tone was just right. He must have thought he’d finally seen the last of him after so long.

I can see both sides of the argument as I'm sure you can too. I don't know if the writers intended it that way but it is indeed multilayered

Lower Decks is one of my favourite episodes in TNG. some of the most profound and affecting scenes the show has ever done. I think about that scene quite often. Did Picard abuse his position? I dunno, I’m not sure. I suppose the argument is there to be had as it’s not denied even by Picard he was harsh.

But at the same time, she has a checkered history and the mission she was in line for, was no picnic.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Oculus Quest 2 VR headset + Rotel A14 MkII Amp Reviews & Best of the Month
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom