1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pic quality of Digi TV (freeview) PC Cards on Sharp 32GA3e?

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by Gortz, Jun 7, 2005.

1. Gortz

Gortz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm thinking about getting a Nebula DigiTV card (apparently they're pretty much the best - http://www.nebula-electronics.com/information/info.asp?Code=0001) so I can watch freeview digital on my Sharp 32GA3E, does anyone know what the picture quality will be like? I've got it connected from an nvidia 6800 via DVI with a res of 1280x768. I don't want to spend £100 on it to find out it's a heap of crap on my TV.

2. busterdan

busterdan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
    Hi mate... if you haven't already then it is worth asking the question here... http://www.digitv-forum.co.uk/index.php

I have the USB version and am very happy with it....

Can be a little bit buggy but generally provides excellent DTV quality plus all the other option like TimeShifting, timed recordings, stream TV to another PC on your network..... it even has a web interface so that you can connect to it remotely :)

A new version of the software is due out very soon that will apparently address alot of bugs in the current version 3.2

3. Gortz

Gortz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks man :)

What size screen are you watching it on and do you have an inside or outside arial? Our arial is in the loft, but the picture downstairs on a Sony CRT is excellent so I presume signal strength shouldn't be an issue, just the actual screen.

4. busterdan

busterdan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
    Yup a loft aerial though only into a 17" TFT monitor....I can't see it being a problem on a larger screen really..

5. simontoghill

simontoghill

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i am running a freeview card in windows media center to a 26ga4e and the picture quality is amazing. Much better than from a freeview box, and some programs are almost as good as dvd.

I am running the screen at 1366*768 from a geforce 6600 over dvi using powerstrip. Runing at 1360/1366/1368 in dot for dot mode does make a difference, but even at 720p the picture is much better than an external freeview box.

6. richjthorpe

richjthorpe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Hi Gortz,

The Sharp is known for it's varying levels of PQ depending on the input used, it's a gradient from Composite is awful to DVI being absolutely stonking.

Since you'll be using the DVI input, the PQ should be better than you would normally get through a digibox. Also, as you've got an nVidia 6800, you should be able to get PureVideo which helps a great deal as the upscaling is done on the graphics card. You should then be able to get closer to the screens native res (I think you can get 1368x768 where the GA3 is 1366x768).

With the signal not having to change from Digital to Analogue and back again, it should make for a great PQ.

Take a look on the Entertainment PCs forum for any more information.

Richie.