1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pic quality between vcd and svcd, noticeable?

Discussion in 'Photography Forums' started by stolt, Mar 25, 2004.

1. stolt

stolt
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    hopefully this is the right thread, apologies if not....

OK heres my problem I recently bought some slideshow software to convert our digital camera pics to play on a dvd player etc, the original software will only let me create vcd's which I think the quality is good... you can buy an additional plugin for the software for about £15.00 and it will let you create svcd, will I notice much difference between the two, surely the quality of the pics is paramount and the software cant make a bad quality pic look good, any suggestions before I shell out £15 on something that wont make any difference..

thanks for looking

2. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,389
    Yes SVCD will/should look a fair bit better than VCD. The quality of a VCD or SVCD will be lower than the origional pics because the software compresses everything that goes onto the disc. SVCD is a lower compression, therefore higher quality than VCD.

Before you splash out your money on the upgrade take a look Here to see if your DVD player is compatable with SVCD as many/most are not!

Mark.

3. stolt

stolt
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    thanks for that, I wasnt aware that it may cause a problem, maybe I'd be better sticking to VCD because I want to send them off to family living in different countries....

4. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,389
    If sending the disks to others then VCD would be a far better idea than SVCD. AFAIK all DVD players should be able to read VCD with no problems, as long as they can read CD-R's that is as many older players can't.

Mark.