Pic quality between vcd and svcd, noticeable?

stolt

Standard Member
hopefully this is the right thread, apologies if not....

OK heres my problem I recently bought some slideshow software to convert our digital camera pics to play on a dvd player etc, the original software will only let me create vcd's which I think the quality is good... you can buy an additional plugin for the software for about £15.00 and it will let you create svcd, will I notice much difference between the two, surely the quality of the pics is paramount and the software cant make a bad quality pic look good, any suggestions before I shell out £15 on something that wont make any difference..

thanks for looking

MarkE19

Yes SVCD will/should look a fair bit better than VCD. The quality of a VCD or SVCD will be lower than the origional pics because the software compresses everything that goes onto the disc. SVCD is a lower compression, therefore higher quality than VCD.

Before you splash out your money on the upgrade take a look Here to see if your DVD player is compatable with SVCD as many/most are not!

Mark.

stolt

Standard Member
thanks for that, I wasnt aware that it may cause a problem, maybe I'd be better sticking to VCD because I want to send them off to family living in different countries....

MarkE19

If sending the disks to others then VCD would be a far better idea than SVCD. AFAIK all DVD players should be able to read VCD with no problems, as long as they can read CD-R's that is as many older players can't.

Mark.

The latest video from AVForums

65-inch LG C1 Review coming soon to AVForums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom