1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Piano HE-3200 vs. Epson TW100

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by jwtseng, Aug 10, 2002.

1. jwtseng

jwtseng

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am itching to buy my first projector! Which should I choose? Which would you choose???

PLUS Piano "Avanti" HE-3200 *OR* Epson TW100

I am in the US and can get the Piano for $3299 or the Epson TW100 for $3899. $600 difference. But the differences obviously don't end there...

Piano:
    848 x 480 16:9 resolution (with light spray from 4:3 AR matrix)
    DLP technology (rainbows, etc)
    450 lumens
    Very small size

TW100:
    1280 x 720 16:9 resolution (native format...no light spray)
    LCD (screendoor, black levels?)
    700 lumens
    "big" size

Anybody seen both projectors? I want to show a 106" screen (52" x 92" 16:9). Which projector will give the best image? Should I go for the higher resolution?

2. Dubbing Mixer

Dubbing Mixer
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    You really must find out if you are sensitive to 'rainbows' I am and they give me a splitting headache after an hour or so.
    If they bother you, then no contest.

From all the reviews I've read the Plus Piano doesn't stack up very well against the Panasonic 100 (which I own). I am seriously contemplating an upgrade to either the Epson or the forthcoming Sony.

If you possibly can, get a demo with all of these.

3. paublo

paublo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi,

I have demoed the Epson and a Runco CL-500, same 848 panel etc but with the faster colour wheel, than the plus..

Rainbows really bothered my better half on the Sim2 HT200 but not on the Runco... so check the DLP's... its the only way, also watch it for more than 30 mins...

I really enjoyed the Epson, but still felt the blacks and screen door was there, it really depends on what projector you are currently using and how much of an upgrade you are expecting..

On demoing the Runco, (forgetting about $$$$) the lower resolution panel didnt bother me, I liked the colour saturation and film like picture.. Both were on 6ft 4:3 Owl electric screens...

Both were very quiet, just check the wheel speed on the piano, nothing worse than the fatigue from an older/slower DLP.

My only other comment would be - how much 4:3 material do you watch, I still watch alot of Videos; Star Trek etc... and found the Epson excellent for 16:9 but naff for 4:3...

Hope my ramblings help..

Paul.

4. jwtseng

jwtseng

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My wife and I are not prone to rainbows as far as we have seen, but I can't say that we won't fall prone to eye strain or fatigue after an hour or two. We haven't been given the opportunity to just sit and watch for a long period of time in these showrooms.

This will be my first projector, and as such I would like to get the most bang for my buck as well as the longest useful life out of this projector. I can't help thinking that I will somehow regret buying a lower resolution projector like the Piano in the long run. Also I have seen the light spray that a lot of forum members talk about in relation to 4:3 DLP projectors producing 16:9 images (I saw an LS110/MT5 and the light spray was a good 8 inches on top and bottom OFF the 16:9 screen!!!). A native 16:9 projector seems the way to go, especially since I plan on watching DVDs exclusively.

I have heard good things about the TW100 regarding improvements in black levels and screendoor. Are there any shortcomings that I should be aware of? Also, so far no one has mentioned the Piano's low lumens and perhaps limitation in screen size (recommended 84" wide max?).

Basically, the cost difference between these two projectors is negligible for me. Would most people simply opt for the higher resolution, brighter lumens, and native 16:9 LCD TW100; or is there some overriding reason why I should still keep the upcoming Piano Avanti in mind -- remember, for the same money.

5. Dubbing Mixer

Dubbing Mixer
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Really, none that I can think of. As I said in my earlier post, I have a Panny and screendoor could be an issue, but actually isn't at a sensible viewing distance. The Epson is, in any case, markedly better in this respect due to the design of the panels and the higher resolution. All reports say the black levels are better too and I don't have much of an issue with those on the Panny either. The extra lumens give you a bit more flexibility over room decor etc. If it really is a choice between these two, I know which one I'd go for. If you can wait a bit longer, I'd have a look at the new budget Sony.

Incidentally, from what you've said, I think 16x9 is definitely the way to go. You'll still get the 'light spray' issue with 2.35:1 films but this can be taken care of by decent masking.

Good luck and if you do decide to go with the Epson, please let us know how you get on.

6. jwtseng

jwtseng

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Dubbing Mixer:

Thanks for your comments. Thanks to everyone for their comments. I think I know logically which I should choose between the two. The Piano is just such a very nice package...it's too bad the Avanti doesn't have a new 16:9 DLP.

The just announced Sony budget player sounds nice too, especially at it's purported price point. The only thing we can do now is speculate on some of the details, but the emphasis on HTPC in the marketing materials makes me wonder whether some of the imaging processing has been skimped on in this unit. It *does* have 2:2 and 3:2 pulldown, though.

7. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    Whilst I have not tried the others you mention I really do not think you will be disappointed with the TW100. I've had mine about 2 weeks and love it. And I am only currently using S-Video but when I did connect up via my PC for a 5 min test it just simply blew me away. I just keep thinking that as good as mine is already it can be so much better - which means I'll be 'playing' with it and enjoying it for quite some time to come.

I know I would absolutely not go for a lower res pj and definitely not a 4:3 model, but then 80% of my watching is DVDs.

Whatever you get I hope you enjoy it as much as I am mine :D