Piano Gloss Finish ???

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs Forum' started by advid, Jan 15, 2008.

Tags:
  1. advid

advid

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    ....I've got a 37" Toshiba C3030 that has a matt frontal finish.... Most screens now (even Toshibas) seem to be going for a piano black super high gloss finish...

Do any of you on here suffer from annoying celing light/ lamp reflections when sitting in certain viewing positions that are constantly being reflected back to you from the shiny black surround of your sets ?

It would really annoy me if I went out and brought a new screen only to find that when set up and sitting in my favourite armchair I could see the celing light being reflected contstantly reflected onto the top or sides of this super piano black finish...

Keep it black ... keep it matt.....

Any comments.... ?

2. MumboJumbo

MumboJumbo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +65
    Not really noticed but turn them off ?:smashin:

3. JDM121

JDM121

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    well turn all the lights off

4. KUBBY

KUBBY

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +664
    Hi,

I dont notice on my Sammy M87,but I suppose if your looking for them....

I do have to get the duster out a couple of times a week though!

KH

5. LANARKCAT

LANARKCAT
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I know what you mean what a right glossy mess some of the lcd tv,s are
    even sunlight can blind you. thats why i got shot of my sammy and the shammy. and got a more elegant and better picture matt black may i add sony:thumbsup:

6. advid

advid

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    >>>>>""Not really noticed but turn them off ?

>>>>""well turn all the lights off

...that's another question...

how many of you watch TV with the lights off....???

7. wazzz

wazzz
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I don't know what they're thinking! Glossy frame that distracts you from the TV image?? A frame you can't touch for fear of fingerprints and can't dust for fear of scratching? Ugh!

Give me a matt finish any day...

8. mbilejo

mbilejo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    This thread has brightened up my day :thumbsup:

Personally, I have a glossy frame, I never really touch it anyway because, well, why would I? But the reflections I can't say I've ever really noticed.

But I think its just a matter of preference what you go for.

I just like the glossy look.

9. Beetlejuice

Beetlejuice

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +943
    I prefer the look of a matt surround. The gloss ones I've had just seem to attract dust! Used to dust them everyday but it seemed to stick, used to drive me mad! Reflections never really bothered me, at night when I need some ambient lighting I use 2 small lamps which I position behind the set, stops any reflections on the front but enhances the contrast level.

10. jah

jah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    Some people are distracted by glossy screens and/or surrounds, others aren't. It's probably a form of ADHD. Have you tried Ritalin;)?

My current and previous laptops both have glossy screens and I love them. Sitting typing this with lots of lovely reflections from strip-lights etc. all over the place but it doesn't affect me at all. Awooooooogaaahhhhhh...... ;-)

Cheers,

jah

11. jakx

jakx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    The Toshiba XF and the coming ZF have a glossy black screen frame but due to it's slender form with a curved surface it doesn't really 'reflect' at all!

Certainly not in the same way that a lot of piano 'black' wide and 'flat' screen surrounds do, the reflections on most often help only to accentuate a poorly executed uneven surface!

In fact I think the very narrow finely surfaced Toshiba bezel looks very stylish and classy, no other manufacturer has done it better IMO.:thumbsup:

12. davidmbell

davidmbell

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Leeds/Bradford (depends which side of the road I'm
    Ratings:
    +24
    Couple of times a WEEK?!? Think mine only gets done a couple of times a year! Even then its when the mother in law comes down....

I've got a 42" plasma in the lounge and that does very well for NOT attracting the dust.

David

13. advid

advid

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    ....that is exactly why I asked this question in the first place...I am thinking of giving my daughter my 37" Toshiba and going for either the Toshiba 40" or 46" XF screen......
    It would be such a shame to spend out on a wonderful looking screen only to find that in its viewing position in my front room I get a reflection from one of my room lights from part of the (albeit slim) part of the bezel surround.... Manufacturers should offer both gloss and matte finishes in my opinion... and I know which I'd go for....!

>>>>The Toshiba XF and the coming ZF have a glossy black screen frame but due to it's slender form with a curved surface it doesn't really 'reflect' at all!

Certainly not in the same way that a lot of piano 'black' wide and 'flat' screen surrounds do, the reflections on most often help only to accentuate a poorly executed uneven surface!

In fact I think the very narrow finely surfaced Toshiba bezel looks very stylish and classy, no other manufacturer has done it better IMO

14. james_n_w

james_n_w

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +87
    advid - you are satan ..... only kidding.....

i had not noticed the refection on the top edge of my piano black screen... but i do now... each time i look at it......

cheers - james :cool:

15. advid

advid

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    advid - you are satan ..... only kidding.....

i had not noticed the refection on the top edge of my piano black screen... but i do now... each time i look at it......

cheers - james

.....YES---- that's just what I don't want to happen to me... Once you notice it ...it won't go away....

PS (wanna buy some black matte paint....:D)

16. MumboJumbo

MumboJumbo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +65
    :rotfl: This thread has me laughing....

So now not only do manufacturers struggle with quality of their LCD panels and how it handles many differnet things. Now its the frame... :clap:
    Soon it will be the wrong colour standby light...:)

I guess they cant win now.... Paint of sandpaper maybe the answer or indeed the next fashion step maybe from black to something else.

17. advid

advid

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    This thread has me laughing....

So now not only do manufacturers struggle with quality of their LCD panels and how it handles many differnet things. Now its the frame...
    Soon it will be the wrong colour standby light...

I guess they cant win now.... Paint of sandpaper maybe the answer or indeed the next fashion step maybe from black to something else.

....once you paid out top money to get a system SKY HD and all that and used the Video Essential calibration DVD - you've got a superb system, beautiful picture - the last thing you want is a reflection from your ceiling light constantly 'glaring' back at you from from 3.75 (put your own number in here) inches on the left ( right / top / bottom /middle ect) side of your superb piano gloss screen ...

You can laugh but as the previous guy has said - once you do notice it - it won't go away... it's like bad/dead pixels on your screen... you're constantly looking to see them rather than looking at the program you're supposed to be viewing...

18. KUBBY

KUBBY

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +664
    Dont you know anyone who's got a glossy frame that you can go sit in front of for an hour or two?

Is it worth a trip to the AV stores on Tottenham Court Road?

While you'r there,ask them if I can get a Lilac filter for my standby light, Sorry,got to go and dust it again.

KH

19. jah

jah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    Nope. I'd rather they didn't. It'd put the cost of the sets up. I prefer the current situation where if you don't like the design of the set you buy one that you do.

Cheers,

jah

20. mbilejo

mbilejo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    Do you guys really watch TV with the ceiling light on???

I just have lamps around the room which aren't positioned in a place where they reflect off the frame. I only put on the ceiling lights if i'm doing something in the room that needs much light, and i won't be watching TV when I do.

Lets face it, the gloss black/piano black looks classier. So if you can have that without the reflections like I do its an instant winner!

21. RMF1

RMF1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Actually, I think that glossy frames look tacky. And I'm saying that having bought a glossy framed TV only yesterday. I've always thought that they looked tacky, but the reality of it was that this was the best screen that I could buy for the price that I was willing to pay. I'm willing to sacrifice the aesthetics in this case though becase obviously the majority of the time that I spend looking at the thing I will be paying attention to the bit that matters.

22. mbilejo

mbilejo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    Can I ask what TV you bought?

I only ask because I have seen some tacky looking glossy frames in the past, but the TV's that I have experience of, from comparing in stores, are all new Sony, Philips, Samsung & Pannys. Of those, I thought all the glossy frames looked pretty schweet!

Saying that, I haven't seen any new LCd's with matt black frames. Not that I have been looking at the frames too much :D

23. RMF1

RMF1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    It's a Samsung LE40M86

24. advid

advid

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Do you guys really watch TV with the ceiling light on???

.....some of us on here lead fairly 'normal' lives... Yes I watch TV with the lights on... my TV is just a box in the corner that my family - wife, kids, grandchildren ect watch when we want to view something - nothing more - nothing less ... otherwise I sometimes read a bit with telly on, even listen to music with subtitles on the screen..... my telly is just a box with a moving picture on it...it doesnt mean anything too dramatic or is not a 'be all and end all' to my life or way of life....
    ..some of the posters throughout this forum and many others on this website seem totally addicted to their TV's and setup's to an extent that it seems to be the only thing they ever seem to worry about...

BUT - I do like my matt black Toshiba.....

25. jah

jah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    Very strange given how worked up you've become over the fascia. Bizarre even.

Well, each to their own. I still haven't bought my LCD yet myself. Currently "enjoying" a 14 year 14" Sony portable since my old CRT died so don't really feel I could count myself as being "addicted" to my TV in anyway. When I do buy one though, I hope it has a nice, tastefully shiny piano-black fascia;). I do hope Sony or Samsung will oblige;).

Cheers,

jah

26. brain_stew

brain_stew

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Erm, this is an AV Forum, heaven forbid you'd find hobbyists here! :eek:

27. mbilejo

mbilejo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    For me, normal is this: live life, have the lights on, don't really watch TV while doing so.

THEN, when I decide to actually watch something, the main lights go off. I can't stand brightly lit rooms - dries out my contact lenses for starters.

And so even living a seemingly "normal" life, I can't say that
    reflection thing is an issue