1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Piano Avanti in 2004!!!!

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Sykes, Nov 12, 2002.

1. Sykes

Sykes
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Suspect someone is having a bit of a dig at Rapesco re the never ending delays to the release of the Piano Avanti here in the UK. Spotted this on a well known retailer's web site who now have details of this very fine projector.

Piano Avanti
    "Price £TBA in 2004 !! ;¬)"

So it looks as if it will finally get to these shores, shame if it had been released last May like some un-named people promised t I would have bought one for sure .

Sykes

2. meva

meva

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
  3. Corleone88

Corleone88

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

If you don't want to wait that long, my Plus Piano is for sale (reason: I am moving out).
    If you are interested, have a look at the AV Hardware classified adverts.
    Cheers

4. meva

meva

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    :D I see the Piano has been on the av-sales website for close to a month now and still no price :D

5. Sykes

Sykes
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    BTW has anyone heard from Rapesco and Brian wood recently? Last time I heard from Brian he was still espousing that the launch was any day now and that was in July.

Corleonne
    Sorry, out of my price range (I also think you might be expecting a bit much for it anyway, we shall see) and at the moment I have a projector, an AE100 (which has got a stay of execution from the gf for a shortwhile well a week or so at least).

Sykes

6. Corleone88

Corleone88

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Sykes,

If you were sure to buy one in May (if it was released of couse), I don't see how you could get one new for much less than £1,700 ;)
    Cheers

7. Sykes

Sykes
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Corleonne

Maybe i didn't express myself as best I could.

Back in May, I would have payed £2000 for a Piano 3100.

With the launch of the Avanti 3200 last Summer, well at least in the States, then I may have paid £2000 for an Avanti as it has the SI504 chip, a new LSi chip, a VGA and DVI port, accepts progressive scan signal if you prefer an external de-interlacer, and has a zoom lens. Last summer I would no longer have paid £2000 for a new 3100.

Now the goal posts have shifted again with the imminent release of the Panasonics AE200 and 300 as well as the release of the Sony HS1 and HS10. I no longer believe the Avanti would be a competitive product at £2000, especially with its relatively poor 1000 hour bulb life compared to the latest generation LCDs.

So maybe i should have said, I wouldn't pay £1700 for a second hand 3100, when the Panasonic AE300 and Sanyo PLV-Z1 are released very soon and are both expected to retail for around about £1500. To me £1700 is now out of the price range I would be willing to pay for a budget projector new or second hand.

Good luck with your sale though.

8. Corleone88

Corleone88

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ok Sykes, it is clearer now ;) .
    I understand that in UK the LCD projectors are very popular. Personally, I wouldn't put the LCD and DLP projectors in the same category. The specifications of a product are one thing, but comparing the picture qualities are more realistic thing to do.
    I can't stand the screendoor, dead pixels and the poor black on LCD pjs, when others can't stand the rainbows on DLP pjs.
    I would be happy to compare side by side the latest Panasonic pj with my Plus Piano on a demo .:)
    Cheers

P.S: when you compare the bulbs, you need to mention the number of hours but also the prices ;)

9. Sykes

Sykes
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Corleonne

I agree with you, I have an AE100, it has a stuck pixel (have to say that it is fortunately on the periphery of the image so is not bothersome), the screen door is noticeable if seated less than 2x, and I would much prefer better black level (although it isn’t that bad at all).

I think the Piano 3100 would probably beat the AE100 in a shoot out and that is why I originally wanted to get a Piano. Probably would have if it wasn't for b***y Rapesco. So I ended up with an AE100 instead but have been very pleased with it considering its price.

The thing I am not sure about is how the Piano will compare to the latest generation of LCDs especially the AE300 with its smooth screen technology, increased resolution and increased contrast ratio. As the AE300 is not out yet, I suppose we will have to wait a bit longer to see.

Anyway, as it happens I am in the same predicament as yourself, i.e. I am going to have to sell my projector because my other half can’t stand it being on the coffee table and my ceiling is too high to ceiling mount, therefore I need to get one with a longer throw lens. I still would like to see a Piano in action even though its lens throw wouldn’t suit my needs, so if you are fancy doing just a comparison just for the fun of it, I am interested, let me know

Cheers

Sykes

10. Corleone88

Corleone88

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No problem Sykes. Do you have a DVI input on your pj? If not, how is your pj connected? Svideo, YUV, VGA?
    We can organise something next week. What do you say?
    I also have an ISCO lens that we can try on your machine. Maybe the screendoor will be dramatically reduced ;)

Cheers

11. Sykes

Sykes
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Corleonne

Unfortunately no DVI input, it has a standard 15pin VGA one. I currently use Component input from Tosh 510 DVD player which outputs prog scan NTSC and interlaced PAL.

Where do you live? I work in Cambridge but live about 12 miles West in one of the villages so might be easier if I come to yours if that is OK, (would bring proj and DVD player). Can't do Mon or Tues next week but am free Weds/Thurs (posssibly free this Sunday).

Let me know how you are fixed, where you fancy meeting etc

Sykes

12. Corleone88

Corleone88

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, it wont' be possible before wednesday. I'll contact you on Tuesday to arrange a day and a time.
    Cheers