Pi questions / thoughts

TheHighFlyingBirds

After a bit of advice from the fine people of AV forums. I currently run pihole on a Pi3B, and logitech media server (LMS) on my synology NAS. I am thinking of moving LMS to a Pi4 (LMS might not work on new synology OS when it rolls out). I was going to get the 4GB model and also run pihole on it. This got me thinking of what to do with the Pi3B, and I thought I could use it as a torrent box. Now given its only 1GB ram and not gigabit ethernet, I am wondering if it'll suffice for the task, so considering a second Pi4. Just a case of 2GB or 4GB? Would the 2GB be more than enough for something like deluge or transmission?

As a second quandary, I have a small M2 NVMe SSD which I was going to try and pair with the torrent box to allow local storage of files before moving them where I need them. But then I thought what about pairing the SSD with the Pi running LMS and storing my music locally. Which application would be best served using the SSD or is it not worth the effort (or extra cost of additional casing / adapter for SSD) and just use the NAS as the remote storage for both applications?

All thoughts are welcome.

Cheers

Oldest Man in the Pub

Standard Member
I bought a Pi 4 2GB solely for running LMS. I used PiCore on the Pi and left my music library on my Synology. Connection is via ethernet from Pi to NAS via a switch. All works like a dream. :)

TheHighFlyingBirds

I bought a Pi 4 2GB solely for running LMS. I used PiCore on the Pi and left my music library on my Synology. Connection is via ethernet from Pi to NAS via a switch. All works like a dream. :)
I ended up with a pi4 4gb for lms (with pihole), with the argon one m2 case and used a m2 ssd for storing my music, so its a fully stand alone music server. Works well.

Then got a pi4 2gb with a poe hat and use it as a seedbox.

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung Micro LED, Mini LED, NEO QLED TVs and More: AVForums Podcast Interview
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom