Question Physical transformer hum

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by gagashagy, Jan 5, 2019.

1. gagashagy

gagashagy
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

There must be a thread here somewhere but I did not find it because of overwhelming amount of similar threads (but not quite) - I see a lot of people talking about hum audible through speakers and I understand how that would be a problem, but my case is a bit different - I don't hear the hum while listening to music. I hear it when the system is turned off (sort of). I have a amp which has outlets at the back, so I plugged my cd player into one. Also, my amp has power and standby switches - when I turn on the power on my amp, cd player starts humming, while still being off. So there must be some loose winding - question is, have anyone repaired such problem on their own and how?
    Player is fairly old, so opening it up and doing some fixes is not a issue.

cheers

2. dannnielll

dannnielll

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +760
    It is typically the case that those switched power connectors on the rear of the amplifier are simple two pin connectors. Try reversing the CD plug.

3. Jamie

Jamie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,332
    I'd try @dannnielll suggestion first, if that doesn't work does it still do the same thing if the player is plugged into a normal socket?

4. JohnnyNapalm

JohnnyNapalm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    Have you checked the physical fastening of the transformer inside the CD Player? Does it hum when connected directly into the mains and not to the amp outlet?