Physical Media Research

Arthur Kipps

Novice Member
Hi there!

I'm a fellow disc enthusiast and am currently writing my university thesis on physical media (DVD/Blu-ray/4k Blu-ray). It is a marketing paper that is trying to generate ideas to keep physical relevant in the marketplace. I'm really keen to interview some fellow disc buyers and wondered if anyone here would mind having a quick Zoom call with me over the next week or so? All interviewees would be completely anonymised. Many thanks in advance for any responses!

IGC

I've been buying physical media for 35+ years.

Never heard of Zoom (I thought it was zoom.co.uk) until COVID knocked on our doors and still not sure what it is.

You may need to open up your contact regime a bit to get in people like me we may not be too au fait with social media. That's most likely the best type of person too.

Can't see why you can't post here you're likely to get more responses too. There's been numerous threads.

I think we all agree physical media buyers are going to hell in a hand basket.

Just on a side note you should mention in your paper the TOTAL disaster of the English riots that razed the biggest pressed disc duplication plant in Europe. Sony DADC never rebuilt of course they just ****** off to Austria and left dozens of distributors destitute. Add this to the new VAT regime for importing (caused by Brexit®) for individuals or VAT and duty for some disc materials it's not looking good.

The demise has certainly been sped up with what I mention above and of course COVID with what I call the Tiger King Effect. Streaming is the death knell.

Sony fire August 2011 (1).PNG

Cevolution

I've been buying physical media for 35+ years.

That's probably the most important question for OP to ask for their paper, a persons age... From my years of observation from being members of physical media enthusiast sites like this, the majority of people that still seem to be into physical media collecting these days, are people who getting old or are old... If I was the OP, I'd be more interested in wanting to hear from the 15-40 age group about their opinions on physical media, for the study.

Arthur Kipps

Novice Member
Thank you both for your replies, really appreciate that! As you rightly point out @Cevolution I'm looking to chat to the younger age group, but am still interested in talking to a wider demographic. Might you be happy to have a short Zoom call @Cevolution? It is (annoyingly!) a requirement of the paper that I need to conduct interviews and not just rely on surveys, forums etc. Many thanks!

Tim2049

Hi there!

I'm a fellow disc enthusiast and am currently writing my university thesis on physical media (DVD/Blu-ray/4k Blu-ray). It is a marketing paper that is trying to generate ideas to keep physical relevant in the marketplace. I'm really keen to interview some fellow disc buyers and wondered if anyone here would mind having a quick Zoom call with me over the next week or so? All interviewees would be completely anonymised. Many thanks in advance for any responses!
Hi - I'd be happy to chat. I'm 42 though so I guess I'm in the 'old sod' category now. However, I'm pretty passionate about physical media so if you're low on numbers & I can help you out, 'cool'.

DrapedInDarkness

Distinguished Member
Another collector here on the older side, collecting since I was a vhs collector and now have over 12,000 discs, losing physical media would be devastating.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Best Home Cinema Sources and B&W 805 D4 Speaker Review and more...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom