Question Physical media free

JamesP1701

Hi all,

Been reading with interest Samsung’s plans to stop making Blu Ray players.

I’ve been thinking for a while now about going physical media free but this is a brave new world for me and as such I could do with some recommendations how to get started.

My AV system is my main hobby and I have amassed a large collection of Blu rays and 4K discs. I do however like the convenience of being physical media free but am unwilling to sacrifice on quality. I would also, ideally, like to download rather than stream.

My question is: how do I get started?!

Vila

Kaleidescape is the only company providing a physical media free system that is compromise free in terms of quality compared to disc. Unfortunately the hardware to use the service is ludicrously expensive.

iTunes offers probably the 'highest end' service in terms of quality having 4k, dolby vision and Atmos and being a big enough company that it won't go bust (Google Play although similar doesn't have Atmos)

However the bitrate isn't as high as a UHD disc - (this may not be something that is visually noticeable on say a 50" TV from 10 feet away but nether the less it is a compromise)
Sadly the Audio - although atmos - is a "Dolby Digital +" core track WITH Atmos metadata and is audibly inferior to a Compatible Atmos track on disc which would have a Dolby True HD core track with Atmos metadata

The last 'left field' option is to look at ripping your discs (in full bitrate quality with full HD audio) into MKV's and building a library on Hard disc that can be played on a media player. This can serve well to make a convenient way to access your films as well as alleviate worry about players disappearing the the future but it obviously doesn't solve the probably when they stop selling the discs themselves.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom