Phrases that really annoy you

vader100

Prominent Member
Reaction score
I have been thinking recently that some words/phrases just get picked up and over used. The ones that are really annoying me at the moment are:-

1)Credit crunch
2)Carbon footprint
3)Bullet points

Any one else?

The one that annoys me the most is this one;

"I could care less"

Now the problem with that is thats wrong! If you are saying to someone that you don't care, then saying "I could care less" states that you you DO care because you could care LESS than you do already.

It should be;

"I couldn't care less"

Which suggest you really don't care, so much so that you really couldn't care less about it than you already do!

Idiot people!

One thats always annoyed me is "at the end of the day" and it always seems to get used by some chav on a reality tv program, as soon as anybody says it I just dont hear anything else they have to say lol

Matt_C, I always have a go at people for that phrase for exactly the same reason. I think it's come over from America, as is the case with many forms of bastardized English.

Carbon footprint kills me a little inside every time I hear it. But, for me, the most frustrating phrases all come from exactly the same place - the boardroom on The Apprentice. These 'business people' pull out more cliches and know-it-all phrases than I've ever heard anywhere else and the number of mixed metaphors and incorrect idioms makes me want to go and line them up in front of a wall.

when your in a discussion and the other side instead of giving up, when you are right says.

"Same difference"

well its either the same or its bloody different so which is it ;)

Matt_C, I always have a go at people for that phrase for exactly the same reason. I think it's come over from America, as is the case with many forms of bastardized English.

Carbon footprint kills me a little inside every time I hear it. But, for me, the most frustrating phrases all come from exactly the same place - the boardroom on The Apprentice. These 'business people' pull out more cliches and know-it-all phrases than I've ever heard anywhere else and the number of mixed metaphors and incorrect idioms makes me want to go and line them up in front of a wall.

Right then, time to 'think out of the box' and perhaps a little 'blue sky thinking' here are a couple that really wind me up:

"Sorry sir, but you have had a good enough night already!"

and

"Sorry sir, but you have had enough to drink"

This one always gets pulled out of the bag when travellers are delayed and they often seem to think that they would get preferential treatment:

"I'm cold, tired and hungry!" - so what!

Actually thinking about it the phrase "Time at the bar " is really annoying;)

I think the americanisms that are spreading in our language is really annoying too. "Math" is a good example as in "you do the math". It's MATHS.

Well I work in an office environment (IT) and the below phrases annoy me.

"We are where we are"

"Pushing the envelope"

"Blue sky thinking"

People that call people 'chicken'. I believe its a northern term.

Not so much the phrase, but the timing of it that annoys me. When having a meal, why do the waitresses always ask:

"Is everything ok sir" when you have a mouthful of food. :mad:

I'm beginning to think it's some so of internal joke in restaurants because it happens all the time.

Just give me my over-priced food and if I don't like it, don't worry, I WILL tell you. :thumbsdow

"Dry land"

"At the top of the hour" - and irritating TV news phrase.

Somebody is X years "of age" - nobody says that, apart from people on TV trying to fill time.

"It's a mute point" - :rotfl: Idiots

Actually thinking about it the phrase "Time at the bar " is really annoying;)

I think the americanisms that are spreading in our language is really annoying too. "Math" is a good example as in "you do the math". It's MATHS.

Actually you can understand that one because MATH is just an abbreviation of MATHEMATICS. The S is at the end of MATHEMATICS so you don't have to put it on the end of MATH ;)

"Differently abled" :rolleyes: talk about fudging an issue.

"Passed away", "went over", or "moved on". Why not simply use the word "died" :mad:

"More over" I just hate that one.

When people end every sentence they make, with "Do you know what I mean?" :rolleyes: yes I do know what you mean as English is my first language.

Yeah, euphemisms are a bugger too. One thing that also really irritates me is:

"Horrible one, that was."
"Terrible thing to do, that was."
"Right b**tard to her, he was."

I'm sure it's a northern thing but why not phrase the clause properly?

One thing that also really irritates me is:

"Horrible one, that was."
"Terrible thing to do, that was."
"Right b**tard to her, he was."

I'm sure it's a northern thing but why not phrase the clause properly?

It's a social thing, like a tag question. It invites the listeners to chip in with a response as it's disjointed and almost needs completion by another participant. You get lots of weird clauses in spoken language, especially phatic conversation.

Fillers are the worst in social conversation - such as 'like' and 'you know what I mean'. Just um and err like a normal person.

'Oh what’s occurring!'

It was alright right after Gavin and Stacy came out but people seem to be quoting the line all the bloody time round by me. It’s even on people’s mobiles as text alerts now!

Wow, thought is was just me that felt like this over these things:)

Re "blue sky thinking", not heard that one before but I would be seriously tempted to punch someone if I heard it now.

Actually you can understand that one because MATH is just an abbreviation of MATHEMATICS. The S is at the end of MATHEMATICS so you don't have to put it on the end of MATH ;)

So by that logic you could knock the s off the end of any plural word. :eek:

So by that logic you could knock the s off the end of any plural word. :eek:

Math and maths are not words in themselves but abbreviations of mathematics. The former tends to be mainly American whilst the latter is mainly British but anyone who "gets really annoyed" by the use of "math" ought to devote his energies on things that really matter

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom