1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Photoshop slowing up

Discussion in 'Photography Forums' started by jaymac, Oct 13, 2003.

1. jaymac

jaymac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +138
    After several sessions on photoshop iit starts to slow right down ie all moves or actions take ages. Icanget round this by restarting photoshop and holding cntl alt shift and resetting files. but does anyone Know what causes it and how to prevent it

2. woody67

woody67

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    I recall reading that you should move the scratchpad (ie paging file) to a different disk partition to improve performance.

Don't know if this is the cause though. I am not getting this problem on my system.

Seems like a memory problem though. Have you checked the settings for the undo history etc?

woody

3. tomson

tomson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +187
    Pretty much as woody67 has mentioned above... the usual culprits are lack of hard disk space for the scratch disk (move it (via preferences) to another disk or make sure you have at least a few gigabytes spare), lack of physical ram (go for as much as you can afford) and your machine getting bogged down with stored history (purge it regularly). Also make sure you've got the latest updates from adobe.com.

Are you working with big or hi res files?

4. sweetmate

sweetmate

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +46
    Its the only problem I have with Photoshop - Its memory usage.

The way it works, is that it will use memory available up to the % of system ram that you specify and then once it reaches that, it has to start using the HD, which is much much slower. Now the problem is, every time you open a file and manipulate it, photshops memory usage goes up accordingly, but then when you close that file, photoshop keeps the memory for itself and doesnt give it back to the OS. So if you work on a bunch of files and then hit the limit of your ram, from then on photohop will be sluggish. Only fix is to restart photoshop.

5. jaymac

jaymac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +138
    Thanks for all your input Ihave about 2 gigs spare but it looks like the memory usage method could be the problem. I do work with big/hires files but this doesn.t;bother paint shop pro thanks again