Photoshop/RAW advice needed.

bilbosmeggins

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi all. Just recently subscribed to PS, so have lots to get my head round. Atm I’m trying to understand the benefits of shooting in RAW…..

Whenever I see a tutorial they almost invariably say you need to shoot in RAW, but then if I try to open a RAW file in PS it opens it in a separate program (Photoshop RAW) that has very few editing options. And if I want to transfer it to PS proper, then it converts the file anyway. What am I gaining, if anything? Hope some of the above makes sense 😂

Hi all. Just recently subscribed to PS, so have lots to get my head round. Atm I’m trying to understand the benefits of shooting in RAW…..

Whenever I see a tutorial they almost invariably say you need to shoot in RAW, but then if I try to open a RAW file in PS it opens it in a separate program (Photoshop RAW) that has very few editing options. And if I want to transfer it to PS proper, then it converts the file anyway. What am I gaining, if anything? Hope some of the above makes sense 😂
Its not Photoshop Raw, it is Camera Raw :)

Camera Raw has a lot of editing options. If you go through all the panels you will see them all. Once you get more experience you may well find you don't need to do much in Photoshop after developing in Camera Raw.

The benefits of shooting in raw include:
  • White balance can be changed to whatever you want after taking the photo with absolutely no loss in quality.
  • More dynamic range can be captured
  • More highlight recovery is available if necessary
  • Shadows can be lightened further before they get too noisy
  • No jpeg compression artefacts
  • Much more control over how the photo can be processed
You can also look at photo developing tutorials that use Adobe Lightroom Classic. That has exactly the same photo development controls as Camera Raw, just in a different interface (and it has some other functionality).

Its not Photoshop Raw, it is Camera Raw :)

Camera Raw has a lot of editing options. If you go through all the panels you will see them all. Once you get more experience you may well find you don't need to do much in Photoshop after developing in Camera Raw.

The benefits of shooting in raw include:
  • White balance can be changed to whatever you want after taking the photo with absolutely no loss in quality.
  • More dynamic range can be captured
  • More highlight recovery is available if necessary
  • Shadows can be lightened further before they get too noisy
  • No jpeg compression artefacts
  • Much more control over how the photo can be processed
You can also look at photo developing tutorials that use Adobe Lightroom Classic. That has exactly the same photo development controls as Camera Raw, just in a different interface (and it has some other functionality).

Yes, Camera Raw. That’ll teach me to try and go from memory 😂.

That sounds like a decent set of benefits. I’ll have another look at the program and see if I can’t make some use of it. Much obliged 🙂

Usually if you have a Photoshop subscription you also get Lightroom (Creative Cloud Photography Plan). That has camera raw in a different interface and also has the benefit of keeping undo/rollback facilities for a file forever along with clone and virtual copies too. I mostly only use Photoshop for cropping and saving to other formats and do RAW editing in Lightroom.

Do you have Lightroom?

Yes, I have Lightroom too. To be honest, I’m finding the whole post-editing thing a bit overwhelming atm, but I’m sure I’ll get into the groove eventually. To be suddenly confronted by Bridge, Camera Raw, Lightroom and PS is quite a shock. And trying to figure out the best program to do any specific task, and when to hand over that task to one of the other programs, and how they all mesh together is a bit of a brain tangler. Especially seeing as I haven’t really done any serious photo editing for a good 20 years.

In this scenario you need Lightroom all the time and Photoshop not so often. Use Lightroom to develop (RAW is so much better for the reasons mentioned above) photos to a style you like and use Photoshop for much more advanced changes and artistic additions.

Thanks each 🙂. I’ve been doing a fair bit of research, mainly YouTube, since posting this thread, and now have a much better understanding of Raw. That combined with your helpful comments has blown away much of the mystery. Slowly, but surely, my editing skills are starting to take shape, and I’m quite excited about the possibilities now. Much appreciated 😃

Thanks each 🙂. I’ve been doing a fair bit of research, mainly YouTube, since posting this thread, and now have a much better understanding of Raw. That combined with your helpful comments has blown away much of the mystery. Slowly, but surely, my editing skills are starting to take shape, and I’m quite excited about the possibilities now. Much appreciated 😃

That’s really good to hear. In time you’ll be amazed how many times you can rescue a frame when it’s RAW.

That's brilliant :) I cannot recomend it highly enough, shooting RAW. It gives you complete creative control and frees you from the shackles of an OEM algorithm. No matter how clever they are! I use a SonyRX100 M3 and have always shot RAW. The last thing I want is for Sony to process my photos for me :nono: I've been processing regularly for a few years now. (Photoshop was recommended to me by one of the professionals when I participated in a Folio Friday at The Photographer's Gallery and I've stuck with it.) Whatever sofware you find is right for you whether Lightroom, Photoshop, or both use it regularly and embrace it. This will help develop a workflow, which is continually refined the more experience you have. It's a great journey to be on.
Enjoy being in control of your pixels :thumbsup:

PS. Photoshop is a CPU hog and you really need a minimum of 16GB memory. (I've no idea about Lightroom). This becomes more prevalent when using plugins. I use the Nik Collection and pay for it now as I used to used the free version, but it only worked with older operating systems:

Get The Nik Collection Download For Free

So, now it's a free trial. I would do some research and see what is right for you. The Nik Collection was only right for me as it was free, when I first started using it, and I got used to it. Their plugins may not be right for you:)

PS. Photoshop is a CPU hog and you really need a minimum of 16GB memory. (I've no idea about Lightroom). This becomes more prevalent when using plugins. I use the Nik Collection and pay for it now as I used to used the free version, but it only worked with older operating systems:

Get The Nik Collection Download For Free

So, now it's a free trial. I would do some research and see what is right for you. The Nik Collection was only right for me as it was free, when I first started using it, and I got used to it. Their plugins may not be right for you:)

I think that I’ll look at plug-ins further down the line. PS standalone is about as much as my little brain can absorb right now, and I’ve barely scratched the surface. I’ll deffo bear it in mind though 🙂

I bought my iMac in 2019 so, will wait a few years for a nice shiny M1 or by then M2 CPU. Damn and blast!:confused::D

I think that I’ll look at plug-ins further down the line. PS standalone is about as much as my little brain can absorb right now, and I’ve barely scratched the surface. I’ll deffo bear it in mind though 🙂
Good idea. Once you get comfortable with finding your way around PS or LR plugins will give you the polish and variety you might find useful. Or not!! You are about to embark on an exciting digital journey. I bloody love it!!:thumbsup:

Well, I took a couple of photos this morning, purely as testing fodder. Primarily, I wanted to have a go at the old over-exposed sky, under exposed subject conundrum in post edit. I’d seen a few tutorials about it. I have to say that the before and after were like chalk and cheese. I was able to play the sky down, and bring the subject up no problem. And the amount of detail that I was able to pull out of a relatively drab, overcast sky was nothing short of miraculous. This RAW malarkey has an awful lot going for it 😃.
I bought my iMac in 2019 so, will wait a few years for a nice shiny M1 or by then M2 CPU. Damn and blast!:confused::D
Yes, I’ll be in the same boat for a good while now. This one has just cost me an arm and a leg, so it will have to earn it’s keep for quite some years. Just wish I’d have stretched a bit further and 16” instead of the 14”, as there isn’t much real-estate to play with.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom