1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

photoshop layer lock help

Discussion in 'Photography Forums' started by dood, Apr 8, 2005.

1. dood

dood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    I'm trying to learn a few basic things with photoshop elements. I've noticed every now and then that I am no longer able to burn or clone because the layer is locked. Reading on the help menu it seems that the way to unlock the layer is to "simplify" it. However, the simplify menu is not accessible on these locked images. What am I doing wrong?

2. jaymac

jaymac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +138
    Simplify is only available( I think) with fill or style layers.what are you trying to do with your images.Not certain I can help but if you give some idea I will try.
    Jay

3. dood

dood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    I have only tried some basic touching of pictures eg using the clone stamp, dodging and burning areas of a picture. Most times it works fine. However, sometimes, certain functions like cloning or burning are "locked out" and can't be performed. I notice a padlock symbol on the right side of the layer. When using the help tool I'm told that the layer is locked and that I need to simplify the layer. However, the simplify option is not highlighted in the layer menu and therefore cannot be performed. If I delete the image and start again (re-scanning my picture) then it usually works.

4. Peakoverload

Peakoverload

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +180
    Just double click on a locked layer to unlock it. This works for background layers too. At least it does in Photoshop CS so I guess it works in Elements too

5. jaymac

jaymac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +138
    If Peakoverloads reply works good .If not I presume you have at least 2 thumbnails in the layer Pallette the background which cannot be unlocked and at least one other. How did you get it locked? Also you should be able to click on the Padlock at the Top of the palette to unlock it