1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Photoshop Issues

Discussion in 'Photography Forums' started by Oakey, Sep 9, 2005.

1. Oakey

Oakey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I upgraded my PC recently to the following:

DFI nf4 skt 939
    A64 3000 @ 2.7GHz
    2Gb Corsair Value RAM
    Gigabyte 7800GTX
    2 x WD 10krpm Raptors (RAID 0)

Tonight I've noticed some issues in Photoshop, both CS and CS2. I can't remember if these issues have been like this since just tonight or since I built the system, I know however I didn't suffer them on the previous system.

Basically, when I drag a layer it's not refreshing. In other words, I drag and the layer doesn't move, it isn't until I release the left mouse button that the layer moves to it's new position. Obviously this is a little annoying for precision work. If I hold down LMB and move my layer, then wait to see if Photoshop is just taking an age to redraw the layer, the CPU usage shoots up to 100% and remains there until I release LMB.

Any ideas how to resolve this issue?

2. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,744
    The usual questions to ask for people with new computers or upgrades is if you've got the latest drivers for all your components ? Also have you got the latest version of the BIOS for you motherboard ?
    Did you build this PC yourself or buy it ?

3. ASH1

ASH1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +61
  4. Oakey

Oakey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Yep, all the latest drivers, built myself. I've found one result at Google where people have noticed it taking a while for Photoshop to redraw things.

5. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,744
    There have been some new drivers released by nvidia within the last week, (version 78.01 I think) it might be worth trying those ?

6. longleyc

longleyc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Have you set the Scratch file yet?
    You dont mention the OS version. Hows the VM being handled?

Sounding like a video refresh problem BUT if its Windows :( it could be a zillion things. This is the problem with self build. Thats what you pay for in the name, usually lots of component compatibility and pre fixed bugs.

I heard with CS that some graphics cards drivers not implementing the 2D APIs properly. Try reducing the acceleration of your graphics card slightly. (Windows/Desktop/Properties/Settings/Advanced/Troubleshoot.
    Also, Turn off Font preview.

Should help.

7. ASH1

ASH1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +61

8. Oakey

Oakey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I've disabled my pagefile with having 2Gb RAM, however, same results even if I re-enable it. I've just noticed as well that neither Image Processor in CS2 or Dr Browns Image Processor in CS work. I click 'browse' or 'select folder' and nothing happens. I'm starting to wonder if these problems appeared when I installed CS2. I've tried uninstalling but now original CS is just as buggered.

It's driving me mad now :(

9. longleyc

longleyc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Maybe I didnt make it too clear. XP and SP status?

I recommend not disabling the VM paging under any circumstances, whatever ram you have.
    This would waste a lot of the RAM. The reason is that when programs ask for an allocation of Virtual memory space, they may ask for a great deal more than they ever actually bring into use. These addresses have to be assigned to somewhere by the system. If there is a page file available, the system can assign them to it - if there is not, they have to be assigned to RAM, locking it out from any actual use. If using large files and multi layered images ram will be used to store huge page sizes within your 2GBs.
    If you have a RAID-0 (Stripe Set) array, use it to store the pagefile. Avoid putting a paging file on a fault-tolerant drive, such as a mirrored volume (RAID-1) or a RAID-5 volume.

Adobe recommend for CS2......

1. Quit all applications.

2. Choose Start > Control Panel > System.

3. Click the Advanced tab, and then click Settings in the Performance section.

4. Click the Advanced tab, and then click Change in the Virtual Memory section.

5. From the Drive list, select a hard disk partition that has free space equal to at least three times the amount of the computer's installed RAM. To determine the amount of space available on a hard disk partition, click the drive letter; the amount of space available appears in the Paging File Size for Selected Drive section.

6. In the Initial Size text box, enter a value equal to one and a half times the amount of the computer's installed RAM.

7. In the Maximum Size text box, enter a value equal to twice the amount of the Initial Size value.

8. Click Set, and then click OK to close the Virtual Memory dialog box.

9. Click OK to the alert "The changes you have made require you to restart your computer . . ."

Did you try reducing the acceleration of your graphics card slightly?(Windows/Desktop/Properties/Settings/Advanced/Troubleshoot.
    Also, Turn off Font preview in CS2.

Have you got a PS6 or 7 version? Install that and see the results.

I know its a lot of hassle but you`re having to do the leg work that custom pc`s have done by the manufacturers/software/hardware suppliers. :(

Maybe Adobe are using us who pay(ed) £500 for their software as Beta testers. It really wouldnt suprise me.

10. Oakey

Oakey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I'll try pagefile again, however, 3times the system RAM? That's insane, I can't think of any time I'll ned 6Gb of pagefile.

I tried reducing the graphics acceleration, using all of the options. No change.

No longer have PS7 so I can't test that.

It makes me think it's more than a graphics problem when neither the built in Image Processor in CS2 nor Dr Browns Image Processor in CS work.

Incidentally, Imageready works fine

11. SanPedro

SanPedro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +503

12. fraggle

fraggle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    I second this. As a programmer I know lots of programs use virtual memory no matter how much RAM you have, and they will do very strange things if there is no VM to use.

I'd also say the problem is with your CS2 installation, since CS is now broke after you uninstalled CS2.

Are they both supposed to work alongside each other?

Try uninstalling CS and then installing CS2 and getting all its updates (should do it automatically after an install)

Also since you have 2GB of RAM go into the memory options in CS2 and tell it to use say 1.75GB of memory, otherwise it will use a lot less, operate slower. (it tries to be nice to windows and other programs but slows to a crawl)

13. longleyc

longleyc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry it hasnt worked. Try it after a complete re installation of CS2. Its worked for other users with this problem. Its a CS issue, no doubt.
    Unlike disabling the VM paging, it wont do much wrong by slowing the gfx acceleration.

Its best not to upset Windoze at all costs. Pity we have to rely on stolen unix code aka windoze for our computing needs. :(