Photoshop help needed

tontoshorse

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Can't find how to do this in the manual, can anyone help.

I have a portrait which I want to remove the background and replace with something neutral.

I have magic lassood the figure - now what?:rolleyes:

cheers

right click, select inverse, layer via cut.

do what you need to with the layer then flatten image

should just about do it!

Steady on! You're mistaking me for someone who knows a bit!

Whats a flat image?

I have the pic on the screen and the figure with the flashing lasso around it.

That any help?

open your image,make a new layer with control J,make sure the new layer is selected in the layers pallete (highlighted)

Then do your stuff with the magic wand.

John.

Thanks for your helps gents, but it must have been a long day at the office :boring: as I am going round in circles. Going to give it up!:eek:

Perhaps one day when I learn the basics of masks and layers etc.:smashin:

Thanks for your helps gents, but it must have been a long day at the office :boring: as I am going round in circles. Going to give it up!:eek:

Perhaps one day when I learn the basics of masks and layers etc.:smashin:

Post the original, lets have a play for you.

Here you go. I have isolated 'Mary'

Just whack it in Photoshop, do a magic wand on the plain background, select inverse, layer via cut then drag it onto a new background.

I think :D

Attachments

• 330383649_3724f2acf4_b.jpg
    330383649_3724f2acf4_b.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 40
Many thanks Steve, but wont I need a larger file size to print off? (Don't think I mentioned that :suicide: )

grrrrrrrrrr. yes, you probably will. I think your problem might be that you are not completing the lassoo tool. You need to outline the entire part of the image that you want to seperate, ie start at the left hand shoulder, work all the way round and then along the bottom of the image, double clicking at the end. You should then be able right click and select inverse etc etc.

If you want, you can email me the large image and i'll have a go at it tomorrow for you. I'mprobably off to bed in a minute, work tomorrow and all that and I think i've probably caused enough havoc on the fourm for one night :)

or
-

getting the hang of it now

cheers

Indeed,

One thing though is to feather your selection ( a bit to avoid very "sharp" edges) and give an unnatural look.

The relative scales of background and foreground are also impt:

For instance the lady in the image has IMHO, a too distinct outline, and seems larger then life compared to the background
But..
You are definitely getting the hang of it:)

Indeed,

One thing though is to feather your selection ( a bit to avoid very "sharp" edges) and give an unnatural look.

The relative scales of background and foreground are also impt:

For instance the lady in the image has IMHO, a too distinct outline, and seems larger then life compared to the background
But..
You are definitely getting the hang of it:)

Yes, I thought that too, at the moment tho I just want to practise!
Hopefully I'll end up with some sort of plain background and edges not too sharp.

cheers

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom