photoshop CS6 + lightroom 3 on a SSD?

bobbymax

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Do any guys here have... PS CS6 & Lightroom 3 working from an SSD?

I do use LR4 and CS5, both installed on an SSD. The only diff I notice is the time it take to open. after that its the same. more so as all the photos are not on the SSD :)

D

You need to be careful as to what SSD you choose for use with photos... the reason I say this is because any SSD that is based on a SandForce controler will not perform very well with compressed files as it uses compression itself to achieve performance. Therefore, with things like JPEGs that are already heavily compressed, their performance drops off quite rapidly.

This would impact the performance for example of the Lightroom preview cache which uses JPEGs.

Pick a non-Sandforce controller based SSD, and you should get much better performance on an SSD with JPEGs or other compressed files.

You need to be careful as to what SSD you choose for use with photos... the reason I say this is because any SSD that is based on a SandForce controler will not perform very well with compressed files as it uses compression itself to achieve performance. Therefore, with things like JPEGs that are already heavily compressed, their performance drops off quite rapidly.

This would impact the performance for example of the Lightroom preview cache which uses JPEGs.

Pick a non-Sandforce controller based SSD, and you should get much better performance on an SSD with JPEGs or other compressed files.

Thanks for the heads up.
Thinking of going with crucial, so I'll enquire about what you say.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom