Photoshop Colour Space

Chubster

I have mine (& LR3) set to ProPhoto RGB for no other reason than several, I think fairly respectable, tutorials said so. But just playing around and noticed when I import an image from the web into PSP the colours are awful :confused:

So whats the best setting to actually use for photos....what do you all use ?

Ian_S

Distinguished Member
The problem you are seeing is that not all images are tagged with a profile. So, you have probably got PS setup to assume the working colour space when there is no defined one... this will equal odd colours.

The correct thing to do is to assume that any untagged image is sRGB and then convert that image to keep colours correct. Although when editing images imported from the web, there's little to be gained from using a wider colour space. It would however keep the colours correct.

Chubster

Cheers in.....With regards my own pics, so there is no problem in using ProPhoto in both PSP and LR3 for my own photos. And when saving for the web I would then just choose sRGB is that correct

Ian_S

Distinguished Member
For PSP yes, as long as it can handle RAW direct, or if you set LR to pass any pictures through as a 16 bit TIFF file.

For any JPEGs there#'s not much point.

LR3 itself doesn't really have a concept particularly of colourspace, you worry about that when you export a picture or print it. And it's defaults are pretty good.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom