1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

photo's to the web

Discussion in 'Photography Forums' started by dragon1, Aug 8, 2003.

1. dragon1

dragon1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As a "newbie" can anyone recommend any s/w that will allow me to convert my digital photo's to thumbnails so i can put them on my web page but in a way that viewers can click on them to see the full size pics.

Andy

2. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    You'll need two versions of each photo - a small one (preferably with a lot of compression - as much as it will stand and remain identifiable) and the larger one - again, compressed, but less so to preserve its quality as far as possible.

Any half-decent photo editing suite will create these for you. The more sophisticated ones have an export optimiser, so you can preview the effect of compression - you can thus select a level of compression that suits the purpose. The same suite will also have a resize option whereby you can take a copy of the original, and reduce its resolution and size, for the thumbnails.

I use Serif's Photoplus for both. Depending on when you buy it, its price varies hugely - when they are doing a promotion it can be bought for GBP10 +P&P.

Once you have your images - you use whatever tool you already use to create webpages to position the thumbnails, and the same tool to add a hyperlink (to the larger photo) to each thumbnail. Even MS Word97 can do this, as can Netscape Composer, Serif Pageplus and presumably all the dedicated web page designers like Dreamweaver.

3. tomson

tomson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +187
    you could consider a slightly different approach - sites like http://www.pbase.com/ allow you to upload images to your own little gallery on the web, it sorts out the thumbnails for you. You have to pay a small annual fee (US$23 yearly for 100 Megabytes or US$60 yearly for 300 Megabytes of storage) but in my mind its a relative bargain. I can simply zip up, say, 50 photos and in one single upload they're in a fully thumbnailed, easy to navigate gallery complete with 3 sizes for viewing and full exif info. I swear by it.

4. dragon1

dragon1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Nigel,
    Thanks for the post, I will give it a try

Andy