1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Photos on CD look cold... should I warm them up?

Discussion in 'Photography Forums' started by Floop1977, Aug 15, 2004.

1. Floop1977

Floop1977

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I recently had a load of 35mm films developed by TruPrint, with the pictures being developed as regular 6x4 glossy prints but also put onto CD in JPEG format.

The prints are really nice, with warm natural colours and I'm pleased with them.

However, the pictures on the CD look quite cold in comparison with the prints and this worries me as I want to use an online photo developer such as Photobox or Ofoto to get a large number of reprints, using the files on the CD as source.

So my question is this - should I just send the files from the CD directly to the online photo developer, trusting that something about printing them onto professional glossy paper will warm them up and result in me getting a similar print to the original prints...

OR should I be thinking about warming them up in Photoshop or Photoshop Elements first (and if so, has anybody got any suggestion on what filters are best for this).

I know I could send off the negatives but was hoping that the CD method would put an end to that fiddliness. Thanks for your suggestions and help!

Floop

2. HardBoiledEgg

HardBoiledEgg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I take it you are viewing the pictures from the CD using your computer? I think you may need to calibrate your monitor, an uncalibrated monitor is often the cause of photos looking different on screen as opposed to in print.

Have a look here for more information.

HTH

Nicola

3. Floop1977

Floop1977

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

First up, are you the iBook owning Nicola from over on the DVD forums? Something about your tone tells me you are :)

Second, thanks for the reply. I tried monitor calibration but it didn't really solve it... I had thought of this and tried it on a CRT which was warmer but not to the extent of my prints.

Colour calibration is so annoying isn't it. I cannot know whether the JPEGs on the CD have been washed of colour somehow, or whether my monitor is just displaying them 'cooly'. I suppose I'll just have to test it out by getting some prints done and comparing them with the originals.

Floop

4. HardBoiledEgg

HardBoiledEgg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    iBook? No I have a PC! I am fairly new here and have only posted on this forum.

Anyway, thats a good idea - send a couple of the jpegs to be printed and then compare them with the originals. Why don't you sign up for one that offers 10 free prints. I used Ofoto recently and got 10 photos free I only had to pay 99p for p&P.
    I also had 60 done from Photobox for free (Blueyonder promotion) and every single photo I got back, even the edited ones, looked different from what I saw on my screen. They looked better though! MY monitor is supposedly calibrated too.
    I actually dont think viewing photos on screen does photos justice, it is a lot better to hold them in your hand and marvel at the wonder you created ... a hem or laugh at mistakes if you are me. ;-)

5. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,380
    A PC monitor will never display true colour as a TV or the printed picture does as they are just not designed to. They are designed for limited colours, but high resolution. TV's are unlimited colours but low resolution.
    Do you have a DVD player that can display JPEG images, many can. If you do then pop the CD in the DVD player and see what they look like on your TV. If not then pester a friend that does have a JPEG compatable DVD player.

Mark.

6. Floop1977

Floop1977

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the great ideas. I am going to try the pictures in the DVD player as suggesed!

Floop

7. HardBoiledEgg

HardBoiledEgg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Have you tried it yet? What did they come up like?

8. Floop1977

Floop1977

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Unfortunately they came out looking mcuh darker and colder than the original images :-/

I love my Canon SLR but am starting to think that maybe I should go *all* digital to reduce the amount of possibilities of colour being screwed up... bah!

At least I processed my order with print credits, which I purchased 6 months ago, meaning it doesn't feel like it cost me anything.

Floop

9. Floop1977

Floop1977

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Having looked through the photos I have to say I'm really annoyed by the loss in quality.

Have a look here at what I mean:

http://www.withstring.com/photocomp/Comparison.jpg

It is so unbelievably frustrating.

Floop

10. HardBoiledEgg

HardBoiledEgg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I see what you mean, they are very dark aren't they! I don't know the ins and outs of what photo labs actually do but maybe you could send your originals to a different lab to see how they come out. Try Ofoto who offer 10 free prints and you pay 99p for P&P.

I really don't know what else to suggest :-(

11. Floop1977

Floop1977

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Don't worry, thanks for comiserating though!

I think I'm going to have to invest in a digital SLR, that way I can reduce the number of variables... if I get a decent camera, and the pictures look ok on the camera and computer, then any degradation in print quality has to be the photo bureau.

Right now... I don't know whether it is the transfer to CD, or the photo bureau, that is causing the degradation.

I cannot believe the difference in quality of those prints at the link above... in the top one, you can see the faces of the people, in the bottom one, it is like they have NO faces, just big black circles. It's terrible.

Floop

12. Mike Hall

Mike Hall

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I wonder if the problem is actually that the printers did a naff job when they scanned the negs, and whether they'd do the scan again for you if you complained? As a general rule, if you want to have exact-matches for your images printed up by the lab, you should use a lab which release an icc profile for their equipment - here's an example.

13. Johndm

Johndm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    Get into digital! Wonderful format, you have so much choice with processing, as YOU are the processor!
    I use Photoshop as supplied with my 300D, you can crop, resize, sharpen, darken, balance, etc etc, so you can even get a good pic out of a badly framed, tilted, badly exposed one for example.
    Tried all this with old analogue scanned images, but the results are very poor compared to starting out with a 2-3meg digital pic as a scource.