Photos of projected image

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by tryingtimes, Jan 16, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tryingtimes

tryingtimes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +531
    Hi all
    I've just put some more photos of my setup in action.
    They're in the 'photos' section of SEVENFOOTFILM

They've come out pretty well I think with just a slight softness (half caused by pausing, half from the long shuttter speed).

If anyone's got any requests for films/scenes then fire away (my film list is on there as well)

Hope you find them interesting
    Regards
    Alex

2. NickBull

NickBull

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Nice one. It's a good little site, it's of interest to me 'cos we are realatively new to the Barco brigade.

You seem to be makign greater strides than me, I think the TT player will be the last thing I do. Then it's just concentrate on film watching.

Keep up the update to the site.

Nick

3. tryingtimes

tryingtimes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +531
    Cheers Nick
    The next plan is to carry through the SEVENFOOTFILM imagery to the desktop interface. I've had a first stab (should have taken a photo) but I think I can do better. Eventually I want to have about 5 intro movies that will play before a movie. These will feature the robot from the site but I may have to render him in 3d which will take some time!

I'll certainly keep updating the site - hopefully bring some of the animation back into it.

Cheers
    Alex

4. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Alex

That's an awesome centre speaker you have there. Does it run on normal mains gas or do you run it on bottled gas?

5. Peter Parker

Peter Parker
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,055
    Hi Alex,

I know that pics don't always show the full story, and can alter black levels etc, but I have to say that those images do look amazingly sharp and with excellent colour saturation.

How would you say the pics compare to the real thing?

It's in the post today btw.... sorry for the delay.

Gary.

6. tryingtimes

tryingtimes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +531
    Hi Gary
    I haven't altered the pictures in photoshop apart from the resize.
    The camera is on automatic (with flash disabled) So that's probably doing something. However, the black level of the projector is pretty much absolute. The settings allow the darkest black of the projector to be just visable against the black screen edging.
    Due to the light colour of my room, during bright scenes the light floods around and washes back over the screen. This is my main problem at the moment. The camera has hidden this on the Final Fantasy big face shot although you can see some weird colouring on the left-hand edge.

The colour saturation does look ever-so-slightly better in the photos but that is due to the fact that they're small. Try an experiment - copy one of the images into a drawing package and reduce the size to 400x300, you'll see that the perceived saturation increases again! I think that's what you're seeing. The originals were 450k so were a bit too large to put on the web but I may do some sections of them so people can really look closely.

The photos however are not as sharp as the viewed 'in motion' image under normal viewing conditions. This is probably due to 'pause' and slight camera shake (look at the bottom edge of the image - this in reality is the masked part of the screen and so is RAZOR sharp - in the photos it is a slightly soft edge).

I think overall they give a pretty good impression of how good these films look. I may take some pictures of average transfers to show some variance.

Still - the main thing is that if someone got a similar setup then you could expect to see images like this during normal movie playback:)

Hope this explains a bit more but I'm happy to answer any other questions.
    Regards
    Alex

PS cheers for the disk - you're a star:)

7. tryingtimes

tryingtimes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +531
    LOL
    I find that bottled is too high a noise floor - I think that Calor is quietest but doesn't quite produce that firey top end :D

It's actually so powerful that it forms my central heating system:D - no really - that's why I can't remove it (ugly piece of tat that it is)
    Unless I want to pay £2000 to british gas!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.