• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Photophonic or Artpanel, need assist with custom panels?

MI55ION

Distinguished Member
Hi all, recently been looking in to room acoustics, ill be ordering some panels soon mainly for absorptions of mid and high frequencies, can't really accommodate bass traps.

From seating position on the right side i have a chimney breast on which i want to place a custom panel. Gik acoustics provide what they call the Artpanel and advanced acoustics provide the Photophonic. I've got some lovely pics of when we were on holiday to Maldives and want one of these pics printed on the panel.

They are in jpeg format and the pic properties are shown in the attachment below. So the question: is the resolution enough to be acceptable for printing? I want the panel to be 120cm (width) by 90cm (height) approx. The chap at advanced acoustics said the pic should have a DPI of 300 which i have converted already from the original. Does anyone have experience of these types of custom panels, do the pics come out nice and is there any company you would recommend?

Thanks

image-3252836704.jpg

sheggs

Established Member
Acoustic art panels are printed with a system called dye sublimination which allows sound to travle through but otherwise is a similar print method as other use.
If your panel is about 1.2m X .6 then it would need to be 300 dpi (magazine print quality) and at least 3mb. If it meets that criteria it will be big enough and these panels look great when completed

MI55ION

Distinguished Member
Thank you both for taking the time to reply.

Bigalroz, I did contemplate the DIY route but considering the fact that my last little venture (few years back) in DIY panels went wrong and knowing the limits of my DIY skill I really want to avoid going down that road again. I know the potential savings I could make but considering I want only one art panel spending between £150 - £300 isn't too bad.

Sheggs, My original file size was almost 3mb but after changing the DPI from 96 to 300 the file size shot up to around 7mb. I hope that's good. Whilst doing more research on the subject I found a useful bit of information on how to calculate the pic resolution in relation to the size of print that I want, it mentioned something about multiplying the width and height (inches) of print by 67 or something like that (I'll add a screen shot of the page later) to get the minimum resolution. According to my quick calculation my pic came just above the minimum requirement.

My only trouble at the moment is trying to get hold of someone at GIK, I keep getting an answer machine with no call back and my email has had no reply. Not a good start if I'm totally honest. I was going to order some standard panels with them too but they can potentially lose a customer as a result of lack of communication. Advanced Acoustics are my second choice atm because their prices are just so steep, the only reason I'm still holding out on GIK. I'll give them one last try tomorrow and see what happens...

Cheers

Edit: screen shot added:

image-2036456935.jpg

Last edited:

MI55ION

Distinguished Member
Yes finally got a response.... Excellent news the image will work fine on a 120cm by 90cm panel 6cm thick. Even better the price quoted is just £150 + vat and delivery. So about £200 all inc. i'm delighted....

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom