Photography lighting for Clothing

There's an Interfit Cool Lite kit on the bay that I'm watching that I may place a bid on.

In terms of the flash gun, I'd like one of those also just to have in case I ever want to use it.

That one looks like it had a hard life...Don't forget about the extra lamps, reflectors (absolutely essentials), soft box, stands etc...

dejongj said:
That one looks like it had a hard life...Don't forget about the extra lamps, reflectors (absolutely essentials), soft box, stands etc...

It's not just the 2 item one.

It ended last night, got outbid in the dieing seconds!

It ended last night, got outbid in the dieing seconds!

Better to get outbid than to get drawn into a crazy bidding war - you see some s/h items going for the same as new (sometimes even more than new).

Hi guys,

An update.. well no real update.

We're still debating on which way to go.

Loz - When you took that photo, presumably, your cameras on a tripod in front of the umbrella and you click a remote (button) then boom the photo is taken?
When you say "My Canon DSLR does it wirelessly using the built-in flash. " - Does this mean, when you click the remote (button) the inbuilt flash fires also, as well as the external flash?

Also, the external flash is mounted on the stand, not on the camera?

Just to keep everybody in the loop, we've been looking at this:

Nikon SB-910 Speedlight Flash Unit: Amazon.co.uk: Camera & Photo

Along with the similar setup to loz has in his picture.

Is this going to do the trick? - With Clothing photos on mannequins.

Thanks

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
maclover said:
Loz - When you took that photo, presumably, your cameras on a tripod in front of the umbrella and you click a remote (button) then boom the photo is taken?
When you say "My Canon DSLR does it wirelessly using the built-in flash. " - Does this mean, when you click the remote (button) the inbuilt flash fires also, as well as the external flash?

Also, the external flash is mounted on the stand, not on the camera?

Yes. The external flash is mounted on the umbrella. It is set as a 'slave'.
The internal flash then acts as a 'master' and when I take a picture - not using any remote, just holding the camera in my hands as normal, not on a tripod - the internal flash sends a signal to fire the external flash.

This is all done 'wirelessly' with the internal and external flash communicating via an optical signal - not a radio signal.
The metering is done through the camera lens - TTL - and the internal flash sends the exposure information to the external flash via the optical signal. I.e. it isn't just a simple 'fire' command.

This capability is now built in to most (all?) Canon DSLRs and external flashguns. It is also supported by 3rd party flashguns such as the ones you have already noted.

If I recall correctly the entry level nikon dSLR does not have a command mode in its built in flash.

So you may want to double check on that.

If I recall correctly the entry level nikon dSLR does not have a command mode in its built in flash.

So you may want to double check on that.

Hi dejongj, After posting my previous message I had a quick read up on this.

Looking here:

Nikon D3000 Review

"For more advanced users: Unlike some of NikonÂ’s more advanced DSLRs, the Nikon D3000 cannot use the built-in flash in Commander mode to trigger other wireless flashes. In order to trigger other Nikon speedlights in i-TTL mode, youÂ’ll need an SB-900, SB-800 or SU-800 on the D3000′s hotshoe operating as a Commander unit."

Does this mean I'd need 2 flashes (i.e. 2 x 900/910's) for 'Loz's' method? :confused:

Thanks

Hi dejongj, After posting my previous message I had a quick read up on this.

Looking here:

Nikon D3000 Review

"For more advanced users: Unlike some of NikonÂ’s more advanced DSLRs, the Nikon D3000 cannot use the built-in flash in Commander mode to trigger other wireless flashes. In order to trigger other Nikon speedlights in i-TTL mode, youÂ’ll need an SB-900, SB-800 or SU-800 on the D3000′s hotshoe operating as a Commander unit."

Does this mean I'd need 2 flashes (i.e. 2 x 900/910's) for 'Loz's' method? :confused:

Thanks

Possibly I can't remember as I've got the D7000 which has got it all built in.

However if you are in no rush I can try out in the weekend whether I can trigger my sb900 using normal flash as sometimes that works as well. Or alternatively using my sb600. No need really to buy two sb910

To be honest if you are happy spending that kind of money I would really go for dedicated lights.

Possibly I can't remember as I've got the D7000 which has got it all built in.

However if you are in no rush I can try out in the weekend whether I can trigger my sb900 using normal flash as sometimes that works as well. Or alternatively using my sb600. No need really to buy two sb910

To be honest if you are happy spending that kind of money I would really go for dedicated lights.

Thanks for the info.

I'm in no huge rush - If you could do that'd be great.
We'd like to get something sorted out ASAP, so we can start learning how to take good photos... hopefully.

When you say dedicated lights, do you mean a flash head such as a Bowens, Elinchrom, or a continuous light (as previously mentioned in the thread)

Thanks

Thanks for the info.

I'm in no huge rush - If you could do that'd be great.
We'd like to get something sorted out ASAP, so we can start learning how to take good photos... hopefully.

When you say dedicated lights, do you mean a flash head such as a Bowens, Elinchrom, or a continuous light (as previously mentioned in the thread)

Thanks

To be honest you could buy both typed :p

Perhaps not Bowens or Elinchrom but nice Interfit and or Lastolite which easily get you the desired results.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom