Photography General Chat Thread

There is still a free option with Flickr, it's just limited in numbers of images you can host
Ahh yes, I forgot about that thanks :smashin:

FWIW since I stopped paying for Flickr Pro in November it hasn't actually deleted any of my "overage" - currently showing 2185 images when I'm limited to 1000. I can't currently upload anything.

I had hoped Flickr would simply delete the first 1185 images itself, then I could delete some less impressive stuff to make some wiggle room for new images. I'll have to do it manually at some point but as I've taken next to nothing for a year I'm not hurrying and all my old posts are still working for now.

Smugmug own Flickr.

I've never really understood what Smugmug wanted from Flickr as on the face of it I thought it made sense since Flickr seems a lot better for general public browsing but Smugmug seems good for sharing galleries so combining the two would be ideal. However looking at the two they seem to have kept them entirely separate.

It's been a difficult decision with being on Smugmug for so long but I've decided to close my account, rather cheekily the moment you press the button after a warning you need to back up your photos the account is closed regardless of the remaining subscription. Given it's an auto renewal you'd have to be careful on your timing to cancel it not to lose out and not to be onto the next payment. I'm also not impressed there's no UK pricing and I genuinely couldn't work out how much it was going to cost me because the longer term renewal prices they quoted me were in dollars and you'd therefore assume not including VAT but were higher than the non-discounted prices. I queried this and they said some prices were with VAT and some weren't but it didn't make much sense.

Ironically it was their discounted plans which made me rethink using their services as seeing it was going to cost me around £150 over the next few years pushed me from thinking of cancelling to deciding to go for it.

New Pentax flagship APS-C DSLR is now (finally) on sale, the K3-iii. Though all initial shipments sold out immediately.

They seem to have finally fixed their long-standing inferior autofocus based on all initial reports, including continuous at 10-12 fps on fast moving subjects. High ISO performance reportedly compares well with the Sony A7 III full frame and is better at some ISO settings - good large print performance is seen at ISO 12,800 and even higher with smaller prints. See Albert Siegel's report here:

Video at up to 4K/25 or 30p is included, with sensor-shift stabilization.

The cost of all this excellence is high: £1,899 in the UK but even at that price you currently can't buy one anywhere, all sold out. It seems that to date, Pentax is not doomed.

Last edited:
More photography on TV this summer with Rankin who I like very much.
I enjoyed his Rankin 2020 series last year.
Obviously formed in the mould of the other "Great British..." talent shows but I like the fact they're going to make them do 1hr smartphone tasks along with other more serious stuff.

New Pentax flagship APS-C DSLR is now (finally) on sale, the K3-iii. Though all initial shipments sold out immediately.

They seem to have finally fixed their long-standing inferior autofocus based on all initial reports, including continuous at 10-12 fps on fast moving subjects. High ISO performance reportedly compares well with the Sony A7 III full frame and is better at some ISO settings - good large print performance is seen at ISO 12,800 and even higher with smaller prints. See Albert Siegel's report here:

Video at up to 4K/25 or 30p is included, with sensor-shift stabilization.

The cost of all this excellence is high: £1,899 in the UK but even at that price you currently can't buy one anywhere, all sold out. It seems that to date, Pentax is not doomed.

That's expensive but good to see a new DSLR and Pentax bucking the mirrorless trend. Hopefully it will sell well enough to justify making it.

I’m really showing my ignorance here☹️. For years I had a Canon SLR camera, and even I say so myself I took some decent pictures.

Anyway between one thing and another I never got around to buying a digital camera relying on my iPhone and iPad, not ideal I’ll grant you.

In my early seventies I’ve come to a stage in my life that I don’t want to spend money on an all singing all dancing camera. I’m now in the realms of a happy snapper.

A friend has pointed me in the direction of this camcorder come camera sold by Amazon https://***********/276dsbps (it’s a tiny url) He’s showed me a few pictures he took and they look decent. I’ve tried to find some info on the gear but it is hard to find. I’m thinking it is a badged camera.

Reading through the forum I’m assuming you are all using much better gear but I’d appreciate your views. Remember it really will only be used for messing around with

Thanks for any advice you have to offer

ok I see I’m not allowed to post a url here’s Amazon pitch

4K Camcorder Video Camera Ultra HD 48MP with Microphone,WIFI IR Night Vision 16X Digital Zoom Vlogging Camera for Youtube Live-Streaming,3.0 Inch Touch Screen Remote Control Lens Hood 2 Batteries​

Brand Rayrow

Last edited:
I’m really showing my ignorance here☹️. For years I had a Canon SLR camera, and even I say so myself I took some decent pictures.

Anyway between one thing and another I never got around to buying a digital camera relying on my iPhone and iPad, not ideal I’ll grant you.

In my early seventies I’ve come to a stage in my life that I don’t want to spend money on an all singing all dancing camera. I’m now in the realms of a happy snapper.

A friend has pointed me in the direction of this camcorder come camera sold by Amazon https://***********/276dsbps (it’s a tiny url) He’s showed me a few pictures he took and they look decent. I’ve tried to find some info on the gear but it is hard to find. I’m thinking it is a badged camera.

Reading through the forum I’m assuming you are all using much better gear but I’d appreciate your views. Remember it really will only be used for messing around with

Thanks for any advice you have to offer

ok I see I’m not allowed to post a url here’s Amazon pitch

4K Camcorder Video Camera Ultra HD 48MP with Microphone,WIFI IR Night Vision 16X Digital Zoom Vlogging Camera for Youtube Live-Streaming,3.0 Inch Touch Screen Remote Control Lens Hood 2 Batteries​

Brand Rayrow
If you only want to take photos then I’d recommend a stills camera, buy the right tool for the job :smashing:

You should be able to post links but yours doesn’t look like a correct link as it’s mostly ******

As above - that looks like a video camera so it will be geared towards that usage.
If it's a video camera you want then you'll probably get better responses in that sub forum

If you're after a stills camera or a stills+video camera (most are now) then I'd suggest a new thread, give us an idea of what you'd like to take pictures of and how much you're thinking on spending.
:)

I'd avoid these cheap unbranded cameras because as you've found it's difficult to find information on them since they're unbranded but reviews on these cameras show them to be absolutely awful even compared to much older consumer devices. Amazon has a major problem with incentivised reviews where companies pay people to leave a positive review and they'll usually get the buyer to pay for the item on Amazon to get the verified purchase then will refund the full amount. This means rubbish and poor quality items get a large number of glowing, very positive reviews which I've been stung by before and reading the reviews on the item before I suspect there's a lot of fake reviews there with the large number of hugely positive reviews and a number of very negative ones.

I'd agree with AMc's recommendation to start a new thread with what you're wanting and your budget to get some suggestions that might suit you.

5.6mm is about right for a 28mm equivalent lens on a 1/2.3in sensor which is small as you say but worryingly I didn't notice it's a fixed lens with no actual zoom which is even worse than I thought when I first looked at it.

5.6mm is about right for a 28mm equivalent lens on a 1/2.3in sensor which is small as you say but worryingly I didn't notice it's a fixed lens with no actual zoom which is even worse than I thought when I first looked at it.
I noticed that too. To the OP, you'd be better off buying a decent super compact or bridge camera.

I've gone mirrorless with the Canon EOS M50 and the lens adaptor, it looks a bit silly with a 17-40mm L lens attached. I'll still be using my Canon 70D for wildlife photography. I've not been able to do much in the way of photography due to an eye issue (which seems to behaving itself at the moment) and a shoulder injury (getting old is fun). All I've done is changed a few settings on the M50, updated the firmware and dashed outside when it stopped raining to give it a whirl.

I've gone mirrorless with the Canon EOS M50 and the lens adaptor, it looks a bit silly with a 17-40mm L lens attached. I'll still be using my Canon 70D for wildlife photography. I've not been able to do much in the way of photography due to an eye issue (which seems to behaving itself at the moment) and a shoulder injury (getting old is fun). All I've done is changed a few settings on the M50, updated the firmware and dashed outside when it stopped raining to give it a whirl.
Not as awesomely silly as this though....:eek:

200-500setup.jpg

Photo from EOS-M First Impressions

Last edited:
My other half thinks my M6 mk II looks ridiculous when I have my 200 f/2.8 L, 100 f/2.8 L macro, or f/2.8 24-70 L lenses attached to it!

Not as awesomely silly as this though....:eek:

View attachment 1508595

Photo from EOS-M First Impressions

That's stealthy looking...

My other half thinks my M6 mk II looks ridiculous when I have my 200 f/2.8 L, 100 f/2.8 L macro, or f/2.8 24-70 L lenses attached to it!

I've not tried attaching my 70-200mm f/4 L yet or my Sigma 150-500mm lens. I might get the telephoto M mount lens for convenience sake while on holiday in August (assuming it goes ahead).

What's some good windows photo editing software? on my phone i use the free version of Adobe Lightstorm but for windows you cant buy it outright and have to subscribe yearly which i'am not doing given id use it maybe once or twice a month.

I dont mind spend £30-£50 if I can own it outright.

Thanks.

Is Affinity Photo worth it? Its only £23.99 at the moment.

Is Affinity Photo worth it? Its only £23.99 at the moment.
These things are preference tbh, some prefer Affinity, some Capture One, some lightroom etc etc. Might be worth doing on a free trial and seeing which you prefer?

For £23.99 Affinity is certainly good value and capable of good editing.

I only want to tweak colours and have the option of adding filters. I'am not going to be maming background one colour and foregrounds another etc.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom