Photography courses...

Discussion in 'Photography Forums' started by julian_fraser, Jan 9, 2008.

1. julian_fraser

julian_fraser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +141
    I know there have been a couple of similar threads in the latter part of last year but Christmas seems to have brought a new influx of beginners (myself included) to the site and personally I've got the bug and would like to learn more. I already have a full-time job and am not looking to make a living from photography but just want to gain a more-than-elementary knowledge regarding taking photographs, lens choice and post-production (not much to ask then!).

What courses, if any, have people taken and what are your thoughts about their relevance and content? Which courses are aimed towards employment prospects and which towards personal knowledge gain?

"GHibbett" - do you feel the C&G has progressed your skills (your photos are certainly impressive)? How are any people that went for the OU course finding it? I liked the course content list for that one.

I've found this Amateur Photographer course from an old post and it looks very practical. It's home-study and self-paced and doesn't give a recognised qualification as far as I'm aware but the content seems good.

2. robpyle

robpyle
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just what I was thinking!

Someone on a different forum I frequent has just finished the OU course and from what she's written, she loved it. I'll ask her what she thought about it to try and get some better opinion.

I'm thinking about making the move to DSLR this year and reckon a course would help me make the most of it.

For now though I'm reading 'Understanding Exposure' and trying to find the time to experiment with the old snapper.

3. Alun

Alun

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +243
    I'm going to enrol for the next OU course, starting May IIRC. From what I've read on the OU site the reviews are pretty good, only let down by the lack of 'proffessional critique' on the shots.

For the money it seems good value, and for me to learn and study, I need to have a gentle prod to get me going, so could be just what I'm looking for.

Would like to hear from anyone on here if they did the last one.

Cheers,

alun

4. ghibbett

ghibbett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Hi Julian,

Yes absolutely! The C&G course has been good in my learning of photography. Before I started the course I didnt really think about composition, understand exposure etc etc. Now it's all second nature really. Also, with going to college for a course (I am full time employed aswell - therefore go to college one night a week) it's great to meet like-minded people at a similar level.

Only issue is the coursework....:suicide: However my first course at college was "an introduction to digital photography" which required no homework as it was not an official qualification. I can honestly say that the content of that course was 80% of the C&G Level 1 course. Worth looking into I reckon.

Anyway, best of luck. If you have any more questions, I'm happy to answer where I can.

Cheers,

5. ghibbett

ghibbett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    One more little 'tip'...If you enrol on a course, you legitimately become a student. And students get big discounts on software such as Adobe Photoshop. That's why I have Photoshop CS3 Extended which, according to the adobe website, should be about £890. I however paid £145 through the Adobe Education website.....