Photography Course query

Paranormalist

Distinguished Member
Hopefully somebody here can help me out with a query.
I see that my local college is offering a 12 week evening course called E-Image Manipulation - Advanced Digital Photography (OCR Level). Having only taken up photography in July I have no idea what this course entails and the advanced bit in the title is kind of off putting.
Could anyone here tell me if this course would be at all suitable for someone who is only getting to know the basics?

Cheers.

tdodd

Novice Member
From the title of the course and it's inclusion in the "Computing" section rather than "Media" it seems to me this course is all about graphic design and the Photoshop (or equivalent) side of things and nothing about taking photographs.

Personally, as a new photographer, I would be much more interested in learning about creative composition, lighting, timing (capturing the moment) and the technical control of my camera and lighting equipment to create the best image I could within the camera. There are many aspects to photography - landscape, portrait, sports, photojournalism, wedding and all require different skills and techniques to master. Once you've captured a decent shot then perhaps is the time to consider tweaking it with editing software.

I've been shooting seriously for a bit over a year, shot a wedding, made a few sales and had one commission, and I would still far rather learn how to take better photographs than how to patch up duff ones at my computer. I do post process my shots, using Lightroom, but I have absolutely no interest in reworking my images to the extent that Photoshop allows. If the photo needs that much work then it wasn't a very good photo in the beginning. At least that's how I regard my own efforts.

I'm not knocking image manipulation. It's just that I'd rather become a better photographer first and a better graphic artist second.

stoo31

Have a look at City and Guilds Photography courses, as far as I know they are still considered pretty highly and teach you all the technical aspects of photography.

Paranormalist

Distinguished Member
From the title of the course and it's inclusion in the "Computing" section rather than "Media" it seems to me this course is all about graphic design and the Photoshop (or equivalent) side of things and nothing about taking photographs.

Personally, as a new photographer, I would be much more interested in learning about creative composition, lighting, timing (capturing the moment) and the technical control of my camera and lighting equipment to create the best image I could within the camera. There are many aspects to photography - landscape, portrait, sports, photojournalism, wedding and all require different skills and techniques to master. Once you've captured a decent shot then perhaps is the time to consider tweaking it with editing software.

I've been shooting seriously for a bit over a year, shot a wedding, made a few sales and had one commission, and I would still far rather learn how to take better photographs than how to patch up duff ones at my computer. I do post process my shots, using Lightroom, but I have absolutely no interest in reworking my images to the extent that Photoshop allows. If the photo needs that much work then it wasn't a very good photo in the beginning. At least that's how I regard my own efforts.

I'm not knocking image manipulation. It's just that I'd rather become a better photographer first and a better graphic artist second.

Have a look at City and Guilds Photography courses, as far as I know they are still considered pretty highly and teach you all the technical aspects of photography.

Thanks for the replies. I think I'll give this particular course a miss. And see what else is out there or comes my way even.

The latest video from AVForums

LG G1 OLED Evo TV and SVS SB-1000 Pro subwoofer reviews, Samsung OLED rumours and more...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom