Photography Course - C&G - Piccies

ghibbett

Hi All,

Well I've now completed my City & Guilds Level 1 Stage 2 in digital photography. Thought I'd put a few of my piccies up to show you all. The overiding topic was movement - whether that be in motion or frozen motion - and my 2 themes were "wheels within wheels" and "wind & water". All pics are clickable.

C&C welcome :thumbsup:

Wheels within wheels
1. Aston

EF-S 17-55 | 6 x images at 40mm | f/13 | 4sec | ISO100

2. Static windmill

EF-S 10-22 | ND8 | 10mm | f/8 | 451sec | ISO800

3. Omega

EF100 Macro | 100mm | f/7.1 | 20sec | ISO100

Wind & Water
4. Droplet

EF-S 17-55 | 55mm | f/2.8 | 1/250sec | ISO800

5. Morning tide

EF-S 10-22 | ND8 | 10mm | f/5.6 | 4.5sec | ISO100

Thanks for looking :smashin:

hot-fuzz

Banned
Wow, whast a great set of pics.
I really, really like the windmill shot. THat would be a keeper for sure.

:thumbsup:

stevegreen

Distinguished Member
I like the first but wonder why you left the trail in that show where the light pen moved between the wheels and in and out of the frame. Personally i think the shot might have worked better without seeing those parts, easily removed in PP or, as you did seperate exposures, easy not to catch. Personal preference that one though.

I'm slightly confused by the settings used on the second, cracking shot as it is. Can you explain the use of ISO 800 and an ND8? I would have thought that with the long exposure a lower ISO would have been preferable to reduce noise as much as possible? I do really like the shot :smashin:

I can see what you were going for in shot 3 but rather than a long exposure maybe 20 seperate shots merged would ahve given more definition to the second hand. I realise that the point is to see movement though so maybe thats a daft suggestion. With such a busy watch face though the movement of the second hand is lost in the picture somewhat.

#4 is another good idea for the theme but I think the angle you have selected and the colour of the tin don't help, it's difficult to see the water droplet with both of these factors taken into consideration. A side-on angle with a darker backdrop would have helped here.

#5 I like too but maybe lose a touch off the top to put the horizon on the 3rd's

Were these shots submitted for the course?

allymac123

Love that second shot. Really really good and dear and almost faltlessly carried out.

What I can't understand about it though is that same as Steve, why add on 3stops of ND and then immediately remove it and add noise with ISO 800. ISO 100 and no ND would have given the exact same exposure but with less noise...

Nice collection of shots :thumbsup:

bagatanmd

love the windmill shot as well. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

ghibbett

Cheers all. To answer many, these were some of my submitted images.

I like the first but wonder why you left the trail in that show where the light pen moved between the wheels and in and out of the frame.

Personal preference that one Steve. As I had layered images I could easily of removed that layer, but I prefered the look. I like the way the line direction contrasts with the natural flow lines of the car.

I'm slightly confused by the settings used on the second, cracking shot as it is. Can you explain the use of ISO 800 and an ND8? I would have thought that with the long exposure a lower ISO would have been preferable to reduce noise as much as possible? I do really like the shot :smashin:

Ah ha, I wondered if anyone would notice this! And there is a very good explaination: At ISO100 the sensor just does not see the stars. The reason for the ISO800 7.5 minute shot is that the exposure equates to 60minutes at ISO100. The ISO800 shot was merely a test shot. However the noise with a 60min exposure (3608sec to be exact) is awful with lots of hot pixels. And, as you can see below, it only 'sees' a few stars. Also, you have to paint the windmill like crazy with my flash whereas the ISO800 image only required 2 full-power flashes.

IMG_1912.jpg

EF-S 10-22 | 10mm | ND8 | f/14 | 3608sec | ISO100

I can see what you were going for in shot 3 but rather than a long exposure maybe 20 seperate shots merged

Hmmm, good idea that one. Thanks for the tip :smashin:

allymac123

Ah ha, I wondered if anyone would notice this! And there is a very good explaination: At ISO100 the sensor just does not see the stars. The reason for the ISO800 7.5 minute shot is that the exposure equates to 60minutes at ISO100. The ISO800 shot was merely a test shot. However the noise with a 60min exposure (3608sec to be exact) is awful with lots of hot pixels. And, as you can see below, it only 'sees' a few stars. Also, you have to paint the windmill like crazy with my flash whereas the ISO800 image only required 2 full-power flashes.

Yeah but you had an ND8 filter on which cuts out 3stops of light. You then cancelled out that 3stops of light lost by increasing the sensor's sensitivity from ISO 100 to 800 which lets in 3 stops extra.

I can totally understand using ISO 800 and no ND filter but using ISO 800 and an ND filter just doesn't make any sense?

bishbashboshdj

Really really good shots, have a look at the AOP, really reminds me of work you find on there.

Are you interested in working as a photographer or is it a hobby?

ghibbett

Yeah but you had an ND8 filter on which cuts out 3stops of light. You then cancelled out that 3stops of light lost by increasing the sensor's sensitivity from ISO 100 to 800 which lets in 3 stops extra.

Hmmm, interesting. I will have to give it another go at ISO100 then. Just need the weather to play ball! Cheers.

Really really good shots, have a look at the AOP, really reminds me of work you find on there.

Are you interested in working as a photographer or is it a hobby?

AOP?
As for being a photographer, I don't think I'm anywhere near good enough / commited enough. Just a hobby!

Gixer75

Really like those photo's and the windmill one is superb. Is that the Windmill near to Harbury? If not, then it's doppleganger!! :D

ghibbett

Really like those photo's and the windmill one is superb. Is that the Windmill near to Harbury? If not, then it's doppleganger!! :D

Indeed it is!! I live just down the other end of the Harbury Lane (Warwick Gates).

MrSpaceman

Standard Member
Hi All,

Well I've now completed my City & Guilds Level 1 Stage 2 in digital photography. Thought I'd put a few of my piccies up to show you all. The overiding topic was movement - whether that be in motion or frozen motion - and my 2 themes were "wheels within wheels" and "wind & water". All pics are clickable.

Straying a little off topic, do you have a link to the course you completed?

Great pics BTW

ghibbett

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom