Photography and the Law: Photographers' Rights and Releases

GKola

Standard Member
Reaction score
Photography and the Law: Photographers' Rights and Releases | Lynda.com Training

Sharing this with all as a general point of interest. Different countries with different laws.
Click the transcript menu to read it all if you have a problem with the sound/accents.
"Photographers' rights when shooting
(music) Ben Long: Hi, I'm Ben Long. If you're like most photographers, going out and shooting people in the wild, out on the street, in public, is a really intimidating thing. It's a scary thing to approach a stranger and figure out how to get their picture. Once you've got the picture, though, there's this whole other scary domain that opens up and that is the issue of rights. Do you have the rights to do something with that picture? I am here with Caroline Wright. I never really made that distinction before, how perfect your name is for this........."

Last edited:
Thank God this video is available to watch at free of cost. In Lynda site I used to thinking nothing is free to watch. Thank you for the link.

Photographers Rights And The Law In The UK - the law and photography
Photographers Rights And The Law In The UK
A guide for UK photographers.
(©urban75, updated April 2013)

Despite the law being clear on a citizen's rights to freely take pictures in public places (with a few restrictions) there is growing evidence of the police, police community support officers (PCSOs), security guards and general jobsworths failing to respect the rights of photographers going about their lawful business.

Following on from our article on UK photographers protesting about increasing police harassment, this feature hopes to outline your legal rights as a photographer, whether you're taking snaps on a mobile phone camera or wielding a monster Nikon about.

We've posted pages about the common issues (see links on the left), but bear in mind that this is intended purely as a rough outline of your rights and not a definitive legal statement.

Some aspects of the law can be complex, changing and open to interpretation - with Scottish law sometimes carrying a different spin on clauses - so always seek proper legal advice if you get into trouble.

Photographers Rights - railway stations and tube stations
A brief guide for street photographers.
(©urban75, updated December 2009)

You do not need to ask permission in most circumstances, although that doesn't stop some
web1.gif
security-obsessed jobsworths trying to stop you.

However, it's worth checking with individual companies before snapping and always use your common sense - if you're getting in everyone's way or creating a safety risk, expect to be turfed off sharpish.

Network Rail's official line is that enthusiasts are very welcome and can be beneficial to security by providing extra 'eyes and ears.' All they ask is that people notify station staff and don't do anything silly like hanging over platform edges as trains are approaching, which isn't unreasonable.

quot1.gif
Taking photographs on stations is permitted providing it is for personal use. For any commercial photography, prior permission must be sought from the appropriate train operator or, from Network Rail at their 17 major stations. On busy stations the use of a tripod may cause a dangerous obstruction to passengers and you may be asked not to use one.

In addition, tripod legs must also be kept away from platform edges and behind the yellow lines. Flash photography on platforms is not allowed as it may distract the attention of train drivers and train despatch staff and is therefore a potential safety hazard. You are also not allowed to take photographs of security related equipment such as CCTV cameras.
quot2.gif

web1.gif
Railtrack guidelines for rail enthusiasts

Virgin Trains have adopted a similarly sensible policy, with
web01.gif
posters erected on stationsin November 2009 advertising their policy:

quot1.gif
Virgin trains welcomes rail enthusiasts and passengers who wish to take still or video images at our stations.

We ask that you do not interfere with the flow of passengers and respect the wishes of both passengers and staff not to be photographed. If you are filming for extended periods and/or using bulky equipment you should make yourself known to our station staff so that the reasons for filming are clear.

Flash photography is not permitted at any time and the use of tripods should be avoided whenever possible. If you wish to use a tripod you should locate and speak with the Station Team Leader to ensure that you are in a safe area.
quot2.gif

• photography-trains.jpg
Tube stations
Seeing as we've heard so many instances of people being hassled over this, here's the low down: non-commercial photography on tube stations is most certainly allowed - and if any busybody tries to tell you different, politely tell them to bury their head in part 10 of rule Sa109 in the Working Reference Manual:

10.1 Passengers can take photographs with small cameras for private purposes, provided flashlights and/or tripods are not used no obstruction or inconvenience is caused to staff and/or passengers

PS: Always seek up-to-date legal advice and information from qualified professionals.

Last edited:
And never ever delete if asked . Only a high court judge can order this .

I tend to find it is the plastic cops that cause more problems . Just walk away from them and continue taking pics . It would be a civil matter at worse . So where does the police fit in ?

YouTube is full of security guards and plastic cops making fools of themselves

Is this really just about people's right to take photos, or is it a wider 'us vs them' issue? The mildly confrontational tone and language used here looks there is personal axe(s) to grind about more than just photographers rights.

Police officers can and do make mistakes. I have seen plenty of videos when the officer has told them they can't film when they can. Lots on YouTube. Also lots on YouTube where it's been done simply to aggravate the officer for the sake of it (often edited and taken out of context) . I don't think this really is as big an issue as some whet people to believe, the vast vast majority of people don't get told to stop and are allowed to do so with hindrance. Probably thousands of photos are taken each day but only a very small number of people will be told not to when there is no legal power to stop them. But who puts up video when the officer say 'hello, yes you are free to carry on'? I one, because that doesn't fit the narrative they are trying to promote and is not entertaining. A lot of the time officers make enquires is because they are asked to by member of the public to do so. I am a keen photographer, have been for many years and go on trips with my father. I am always mindful how worrying and intimidating it can be for members of the public when someone is pointing a large lens on an SLR in their direction. So yes we have 'rights' but we also have responsibilities to our fellow citizens.

I have only ever 'asked' someone to once stop filming because I was talking to a member of the public and they kept shouting "just walk away mate! Is he detained?!". In the end the member of public shouted back at him "sod off mate, I'm trying to report a crime. I don't want my business on Facebook". I have had probably had hundreds of photos and video of me taken, but I have never told anyone they can't and have never seen anyone I know of do so either. While people can film in most circumstances, it's also the job of police/security/PCSO etc to make inquiries. Nothing wrong with asking, it's there job. So just go and find the nearest officer and say hello and explain what you are doing. Of course you might think don't have to, by why not to and help each other out?

Last edited:
the way i look at photography in most public places is there is no law that prevents you taking photographs but there is no pacific law that says you can either

we are almost at the mercy of the general public where street photography or general photography within crowded public places is concerned regardless of what common rights we have

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom