Photographing dogs - tricky business

Tobers

Prominent Member
Reaction score
First time doing some dog shots (dogging??? :D).

Bloody tricky it is too. The damned thing kept moving about quickly in unpredictable directions. I had one main aim - get the eyes in focus. This is not easy when the dog is boinging about all over the place.

I used my 70-200 F4L and ISO up at 400 as it was a tad cloudy and I wanted fast shutter speed. For the action shots I set the camera focus mode to AF Servo so it would continuously focus, and used the P setting to ensure I got RAW as well as large JPEGS (however, all the ones below are JPEGS straight out of the camera). For a couple at the end I used my 17-55 as we were under trees and it was getting a tad dark, so I wanted the IS and the 2.8 aperture.

All in all, lots to think about and do all at the same time...

Here's a few of the better ones. Any help appreciated as I'm sure I'll be doing more...

142650142-M.jpg

142648179-L.jpg

142650755-M.jpg

142651629-L.jpg

142652198-L.jpg

142649914-L.jpg

142649277-L.jpg

142653012-L.jpg

Cheers!

Tobers

Like the one where he(?) is jumping and where he's about to pounce.

Good job :)

Ta!

I've just run a few of them through photoshop and done simple stuff like levels adjustment. Makes a huge difference as I think some of them are a tad overexposed.

They do look good on a full screen slideshow though. Hopefully my pal who owns the dog will be well chuffed.

These photos are good.

Really like #2. Not sure what you found tricky cos your photos are all well focussed and very sharp. She definitely not camera shy :)

Really like the one's of Rozzie in the water on your smugmug site.

They all look good to me ;)

Tricky to take..maybe:confused:

Good result..Most Definitely:thumbsup: Dogs don't hang around to "pose" for photographs in my limited experience.. Well done:smashin:

It's the one of the muddy face for me. Good portrait with that something extra. Nice work.

Lovely dog. Taking shots like that has to be more fun than most shoots.

I'd be interested to see the results if you ever get asked to go dogging again.:devil:

nice set and a 'braw dug' indeed :)

funnily enough I've been asked by the mother in law to take a few shots of her black lab at the weekend so I'll try and post some results if I get anything decent

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom