1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Photographers in the family

Discussion in 'Photography Forums' started by Radiohead, Jul 24, 2005.

1. Radiohead

Radiohead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +433
    I visited my grand-parents today and spend a good deal of time talking about photgraphy with my Grandad. He's been shooting for 40 years, and had a gorgeous Leica M2 there (which he saved for for 2 years and bought for £108 the year I was born, 1969). He does the odd wedding now and again (and did mine) and I thought that was about it.

Boy was I wrong - I found it hard to put into words just how good he is. He shoots medium format with Hasselblad kit and his main love is black and white landscapes. He's just taken part in an exhibition with the Crown Monochrome Group in Bath and had his prints there - they were stunningly, stunningly good.

This link has some of his (he exhibited about 40 in total) and doesn't even begin to show how good they were in front of me

http://website.lineone.net/~crownmono/CrownMono2.html

(His are "by David Lewis")

We were playing with our kit all afternoon - me with his Hasselblad and him with my D70. It was hilarious as neither of us had a clue what to do.

I thought a gun had gone off when the shutter went on his though!

We were talking about photography now and I expected him to say that today's is easy. Interestingly he said it was a good thing. In his opinion he thinks the most important thing is the person behind the lens, not how the picture is taken. No film vs digital snobbery at all.

He's also an ARPS and doesn't ever mention it. Just has a certificate hung on his wall.

2. Zone

Zone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,183
    Sounds like a sound bloke :)
    I've always said the same thing, you can have all the fancy gear in the world and it won't make you a better photographer, its the vision to see the picture in the first place that counts, a little skill in post processing comes in handy but I've see some extraordinary wonderful shots straight from the camera.

That exhibition does look very good, B/W has always been a firm favorite of mine and there seems to be some great pictures there.

Of people in my family, it was my dad who was the photographer, Pentax 35mm user (gave me my first SLR Pentax ME in 1980 aged 13), developed his own films in his little dark room (blacked out pantry) he'd even rigged a red light bulb outside as a warning of when he was in there developing , what a guy :D

3. DJW

DJW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Great bloke Guy.....I'm sure you'll see even more of him now ;)

It was my father who got me into photography. I can remember being around 12 when he made the small bedroom into a darkroom, & me being amazed by the whole process. Also remember being shown how to operate an Olympus OM1 & the details of DOF etc. Good start to photography.

4. dejongj

dejongj
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,575
    Great stuff of your grand-dad and generally a good standard of their group...

But man that group is in need of someone with webskills and digitising skills you can see the skillful composition, but I bet it looks 100 times better at the exhibition....

5. seany

seany
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    There's only me in my family (which is very big) that has any interest in photography. Diane's (my partner) brother has a diploma in photgraphy, but he's a landscape garderner:laugh:

He does not bother at all now, all filmed based when he was. He was surprised at how large my 20D was when he first saw it. He's not a film snob though