Photograph to scanner to CD to DVD player to TV?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Brian Leahy, Nov 10, 2001.

1. Brian Leahy

Brian Leahy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am new to computing and think rather than know that equipment exists that is capable of performing the following task. I have a fairly new Atlas Meridian 850 Duron 128 MB SDRAM with a GForce 2mx 32 mb AGP with TV Video card and want to be able to scan photographs and 35mm slides, save them to a CD (if that is the correct medium that is) and view them on a TV using a DVD player. I may well be using the wrong terms so correct me if I am. There is no point in buying a scanner or DVD player if I can not do this. Is it possible to do what I want to and if so what scanner, softwaer and DVD player do I need?
    Many thanks.
    Brian Leahy

2. encaser

encaser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +520
  3. Stuart Wright

Stuart Wright
    AVForums Founder Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,466
    I think Brian is after a method of playing stills on his stand alone DVD player rather than a HCPC.
    Unless you use (relatively expensive) aoftware to create DVDs and, of course, a DVD recorder, I don't think it's possible.
    Very possible on a HCPC, of course, but then you need a projector rather than a TV to best view the output.

4. swhits

swhits
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    The answer is yes you can export your photos to tape (and in theory CD or DVD provided that your DVD player supports CDR etc). You don't state whether your graphics card has a TV out channel. Without a TV out channel you cannot do what you want. I produced a slide show for a relative on VHS tape which I exported from my computer. Email me if you have a tv out and I'll send you some more details.:clown: :)

5. Mark Grant

Mark Grant

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +171
    Hello Brian,

To display pictures (Jpegs) from your PC on a standalone DVD player is easy.

Took me a year to find out how to, but now easy :)

You basically need to create a Video CD, that is a series of still images.

Each image is a chapter, so you use the 'next chapter' button on the remote to display the next picture, or set a time delay for each image, before burning the CD.

You will need a CD writer and Nero 5.0 or higher software.

Most DVD players will play Video CD's so you should be OK.

Check that the DVD player will play CDR discs before buying.

This link shows you how:
    Create Slide show with Nero

Also a deja.com/google search brings lots of helpful posts:
    Google Search

If you see flickering pictures on your TV, this will help:
    Flickering pictures help

There are a few more advanced options in Nero 5:

When you have created the selection and are ready to burn, click the 'Write CD' from the file menu, then have a look at the options before writing.

From the 'Video CD' tab, look at the bottom left, you will see a 'Store source pictures in' check box, if you check this box, the original files will be copied to a folder named 'Pictures' on the CDR.
    You can rename this folder if you want. This way you have another copy of your original pictures, should you suffer a hard drive failure etc.

If you look in the 'Menu' tab you can create a menu of thumbnails, a bit like the chapter selection on a DVD.

Tick the 'Enable Menu' check box.
    From the 'layout' drop down box, choose the number of thumbnails you want per page.
    At the bottom is a box that allows you to preview the first page of thumbnails.

You can change the text in the 'Footer text' box and add text in the 'Header text' box, to get a message or your name on the TV screen.

Only the first 99 pictures will be given a thumbnail.

When a Video CD with thumbnails is played in a DVD player, the thumbnails will be displayed at startup.

To go to the pictures, you need to press '1' then 'play' to force chapter 1 playback, otherwise you are stuck in the thumbnails.

Hope that helps a few people :D

Good luck,

Mark G.

6. Stuart Wright

Stuart Wright
    AVForums Founder Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,466
    Well done Mark. I'm going to put this in the FAQ unless you have any objections.

7. Duncan Harvey

Duncan Harvey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    excellent! having purchased a digital camera, this was exactly the thought I had - oe create a video cd - now I know how to do it!

8. Brian Leahy

Brian Leahy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for all the help. Mark. G. seems to have hit it and now I can go and buy some new kit. I spent nearly two weeks contacting most of the major DVD player manufacturers, and the major computor and DVD retailers who in general were a near total waste of time so thanks again.
    Brian:clown:

9. Mark Grant

Mark Grant

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +171
    Spectre,

Add it to the FAQ, Nice to help a few people:)

(I have edited the original post)

Brian,

I sugest you buy a decent make of 'burnproof' CD Writer, and look for one that has Nero 5.5 bundled with it.

I have a TDK that came with Nero 5.5, saves buying more software.

http://www.pcindex.co.uk is a good place to look for prices.

Mark G.

10. dood

dood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    I agree that most DVD players play VCDs. Also many do not play CDRs. Blank CDR discs are used to make a copy of a VCD, just like burning audio CDs. My question is: does your DVD player have to play VCDs as well as CDRs, ie if the burnt disc is essentially a VCD then surely it can play in a DVD player even if audio CDRs don't?