1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Photocromatic lenses

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Geordie Jester, Jun 27, 2005.

1. Geordie Jester

Geordie Jester

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +157
    Just wondering if any of you out there are using those 'transitions' (specsavers) lenses for your daily pair of glasses.

Im in the market at the moment for a pair of glasses and a pair of prescription sunglasses. Wondering about going for these as a cost effective compromise.

Not sure whether it would wind me up or not. How do people find they are indoors ? I don't want a 'slight tint' really.

How do people find the transition times ? Do you look a spaz for long wearing shades indoors. I don't want to find I go to a business meeting and have to carry my glasses in my hand until they clear !!

ta!

2. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,014
    I once got a pair of transition sunglass ages ago and though they was a pain. They use to take so long to change it was really stupid.
    E.g. I would be on holiday and go into a shop and they would be too dark but be time I was coming out they would be clear but bang into the sunshine and things where too bright till they reacted. I rather wear a pair of normal sunglasses and take them of when I go indoors and then put them back on outside.

3. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,745
    I think it depends on the make of lens used. If it were me I would tend to look at brands such as Rodenstock or Zeiss and pay a little more for them. For example here's a snippet from the Rodenstock site:-

Light-reactive lenses
    If you live an indoor/outdoor lifestyle, you will be interested in our very latest 100% UV protective, plastic ColorMatic Extra light-reactive lenses. These lenses react so quickly and efficiently to changing light conditions, you can wear them literally anywhere. They also react proportionately inside a car, making them safe for driving both day and night.

4. Geordie Jester

Geordie Jester

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +157
    hmmm those were some of my worries Garrett.

Thanks John. I must say that in general the technology is supposed to be getting better all the time, so maybe the transition times are not as bad as they once were. I wonder what type of lens specsavers are doing ?

5. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,745
    I'll make a couple of calls today and find out as I work mainly with opticians :)

6. Geordie Jester

Geordie Jester

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +157
    cheers that would be great

7. Solomon Grundy

Solomon Grundy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,408
    my boss has them and looks a bit of a prat when he is inside and the lenses are still dark...

8. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,745
    It would appear that most of these types of lenses sold at the moment are exactly the same, they are supplied without the finish to various opticians who then rebrand them and finish them (for example Boots call them something different to Specsavers etc). The very latest versions of these can be quite good, changing colour in 2 to 3 minutes, but the older versions won't be so good and may appear to be too orange in colour. The development of these lenses went through to Generation 5 and then on to something they call "Next Generation" and I think there's an all new version now. I will try and find out what version Specsavers are selling.
    There are problems with Photochromatic lenses, one being that they react slower and are paler in hot conditions, so are obviously darker and quicker in cold conditions. This is due to to way they work with UV and lead to common complaints of them being too dark on cold days and too light in cars as the car screens tend to block out the UV light. Having said that, they do provide very good protection against harmful UV rays at all times of the year. They do provide a good solution to going in and out of buildings a lot during the summer but you do have to compromise with the speed of them.
    I'll let you know if I find out about the version of the ones Specsavers are selling.

9. Geordie Jester

Geordie Jester

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +157
    just found an extended list of different products..

Single vision glass photochromic
    Vitra PGX & PBX £49

Other products Lens add-on price

Single vision plastic photochromic
    Perfalit Colormatic Extra £140
    Airwear Transitions Brown Crizal £200
    AS Ormex Transitions Supra £120
    Hoya Hilux Sunbrown/grey hardcoated £100
    1.54as Transitions Hardcoated £200
    Seiko SSV Transitions 1.67as MAR £325
    SunSensors 1.56 hardcoated £140
    Cosmolit ColorMatic Extra hardcoated £180
    Sunlens 1.67as MAR £225
    Aspheric Airwear Transitions Crizal £200

Makes me wonder if the 'standard' will be fairly poor performing. Might be worth one of the upgrades

I will need to go and chat to them