Photo Website Feedback

technoholic

Prominent Member
Reaction score
****Edit: im working on the site and its a mess right now so have taken it down while i make some changes***

Hi All

I'm working on a basic site to show a small portfolio as I build up practice and start to get some half decent images. Eventually I will have a separate site if I want to actually offer my service but this is just for showing my images. It's basic and clean but does what I want I think. Eventually the portfolio section will have different sections for different types of photo, but haven't decided how to implement that yet.

Anyway, any feedback would be appreciated, positive or negative. It's hosted on a slow server at the mo so it won't be that slow when live. It's not finished yet, lots of sample text and the colours of the last 2 pages aren't decided, just blue and red to distinguish them right now

Thanks a lot

Last edited:
Too much in the early stages for me to offer any meaningful feedback. All I'd say is that with the portfolio it'sa good idea to create albums imo as the number of photos increases.

Thanks for that, but actually although it's in early stages, it won't change that much from how it is now, it's not meant to have much on it, but be simple. The only thing I will be doing is adding categories/albums like you say, once I've figured out how to incorporate that to the design that I coded

I quite like it - but you need to be careful "sparse" doesn't become "cryptic" - what kind of photographer are you?
If you're intending to get work you need some text that covers who you are, what you do and how to get in touch - I guess that's what your contact and about are for - but you really need that copy to work well if it's your shop window.
At the moment your site is not search friendly - you need to get some descriptive text and/or Alt tags on the images so if I'm searching for "pet dog photographer in townname" you show up.

I'm sure you've seen other sites until they're coming out of your ears but my old lecturer runs this business Dorset Wedding Photographer Phillip Allen | Mister Phill
His Blog is always engaging reading, even though I have no interest in weddings or wedding photography ;)
I think a rolling blog of your work is a great supplement to your favourite images ever in the portfolio.

Yeah I agree with most of what you've said. Optimising for seach will come later, the alt tags and so on will be generated when the code adds the images to the page, but havent got that far yet.

But this site is probably not going to be my revenue generating site, just a site to show off some pictures. there will be a contact and about section, and the images will be divided into sections, but once I have decided if I want to make money from portraits for example, I will set up a dedicated site for that.

What is the point of this site then you might ask? Well not a lot really, just somewhere to be a home for my best pictures to come, that isn't flickr or something like that. If it evolves into something else then that's for the future, but I like the minimalistic look for now.

I do agree though, that a blog is a good idea and it definitely something I was going to try to incorporate

only additional feedback is that I don't like way that it "slides" to the other sections "via" the portfolio image.... if that makes sense ?

do you think i should put the portfolio last then? I want to keep the sliding one page design, its following the responsive web principles to an extent and I like it.

Not sure about putting it last TBH - will that not just mean that instead of the Portfolio shot we then get a "flash" of one of the other pages ?

Could just be me that doesn't like it :) - the problem I had was that it looked "accidental" to me

Jim

Yes - I see - and don't like it there either LOL

That's ok, everyone has different tastes!

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom