• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Photo Touch Up Help

liamis2cool

Need some help/advice on touching up a photo,

my cousin had a pic of her boy taken but his orange t shirt gives off quite a glow under his chin,

need either someone to either suggest some freeware or is kind enough to take a look!.

the original file is around 6mb so couldnt upload it on here, its just to show the sort of work im talking about.

Attachments

• (94)1.jpg
    (94)1.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 79

FallOutBoy

Download the free trial of Adobe Light Room or Photoshop etc, you can use it fully-featured for 30 days. Watch a few tutorial videos on YouTube to help get you started and you'll easily be able to improve that photo a lot :smashin:

icemanonline

Distinguished Member
Need some help/advice on touching up a photo,

my cousin had a pic of her boy taken but his orange t shirt gives off quite a glow under his chin,

need either someone to either suggest some freeware or is kind enough to take a look!.

the original file is around 6mb so couldn't upload it on here, its just to show the sort of work im talking about.

Could also try the latest Picasa and let it try to auto fix it or just drop the saturation using the slider till you get a better finish.

Picasa 3: Free download from Google

icemanonline

Chubster

Had a quick go but not brilliant as its a small jpeg....

Attachments

• Untitled-1.jpg
    Untitled-1.jpg
    281.3 KB · Views: 82

liamis2cool

Had a quick go but not brilliant as its a small jpeg....

thanks mate that looks a fair bit better! what did you use todo that? sorry bout the small jpeg, as i said in the AVF only lets you upload a jpeg upto 250kb big, the original photo was close to 6mb.

for lovely peeps above thanks, i am downloading both now see what i can do!

she is going to have the pic blown up onto canvas some obviously have a bright orange chin wasnt very good!

Last edited:

Chubster

No worries....Photoshop

Do you have a flickr account ? If not you could email me and I could have a play

Chubster

ok that didnt help....thought you could download from flickr..:confused:

Sent you a PM

Chubster

hi mate thats alot better, would you be able to send back the original jpeg i sent you updated? cant seem to download it from flickr either

Just emailed it to you....let me know if you dont get it

Hitby

Chubsters looks good. jm1's looks like he's sepia tinted the face :D

shotokan101

Banned
Chubsters looks good. jm1's looks like he's sepia tinted the face :D

Interesting - on my calibrated screen chubsters looks a bit oversaturated and jm1's version looks very natural - skintones and T-shirt.... :)

JIm

jm1

Interesting - on my calibrated screen chubsters looks a bit oversaturated and jm1's version looks very natural - skintones and T-shirt.... :)

JIm

Yep, same here Jim, in chubsters the boy looks a bit sunburnt, it's a problem examining photo's with a non colour managed PC & browser. :)

Joe.

FallOutBoy

But who is going to be viewing the photo on a calibrated monitor? That's what gets me about this kind of thing, it's all very well having everything calibrated perfectly for editing, but the majority of people will then be viewing those images on a regular monitor, laptop, iPad, TV or smartphone! And the image above that was edited using a calibrated display, obviously looks wrong to me and hitby :confused: or is it more to do with printing? Would you have 2 edits - one for printing and one optimised for others to view over the Internet?

BubbleDouble

Distinguished Member
As far as I can tell (on my uncalibrated laptop screen), jm1's version looks more natural, whereas Chubster's looks slightly oversaturated, especially the lips.

However, jm1's version also looks a bit like the head's been superimposed onto the photo, something looks a bit odd about it.

Somewhere between the two versions would probably look good to me, but as we all know, they'll look different to everyone, depending on what you're viewing them on.

Darren

FallOutBoy

On my monitor, jm1's edit looks even more blurry than it does on the iPad :confused: chubsters looks sharp, even if it is still slightly over-saturated.

FallOutBoy

As far as I can tell (on my uncalibrated laptop screen), jm1's version looks more natural, whereas Chubster's looks slightly oversaturated, especially the lips.

However, jm1's version also looks a bit like the head's been superimposed onto the photo, something looks a bit odd about it.

Somewhere between the two versions would probably look good to me, but as we all know, they'll look different to everyone, depending on what you're viewing them on.

Darren

I think it looks like it's had so much softening/blur or something around the neck area to get rid of the orange glow from the T-shirt, that it's lost the separation of head and neck. If you look at previous images, there is a visible jawline so the face doesn't just blend into the neck lol

shotokan101

Banned
On my monitor, jm1's edit looks even more blurry than it does on the iPad :confused: chubsters looks sharp, even if it is still slightly over-saturated.

Chubster may have been working on a larger version of the image....

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom