1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Photo Storage advice

Discussion in 'Photography Forums' started by drunkenmaster, Oct 22, 2005.

1. drunkenmaster

drunkenmaster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    I am going abroad in a few weeks and when checking out Memory cards for prices for around 6 Gigs the price is high to say the least.

The alternative is using a hard disk based portable device which seems a cheaper alternative.

Are there any devices which recognise RAW images as well as JPEGS. Maybe have have a decent music playback facility with memory card slots for my CF cards - Am I asking for too much???

Any advice would be grateful.

Thanks

2. beachy

beachy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +60
    i have seen a device called the "delkin burnaway portable memory card to cd/dvd burner" i know they copy memory card formats to cd,s and dvd,s although i'm not sure what memory cards they support,i think there are several different models starting at about £175 to £270 not cheap i know but might be worth checking out at www.delkin.com and www.bristolcameras.co.uk i hope you have some luck there.

:smashin:

3. beachy

beachy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +60
    sorry about my earlier post,i just realized you wanted hard disk storage,so in answer to your question yes there is such a device,it's called the flashtrax portable memory storage,it reads raw as well as jpeg and tiff files and also plays them back on it's lcd screen,and supports cf card format it can also be used as an mp3 player,they start off at about 20gig and go up to about 80 gig(i think) there available from www.smartdisk.com or .co.uk alternatively there is the "aqua pixman pro" again they start from 20gig to 100gig,i think they maybe cheaper than the flashtrax,and you can find these at www.aquaindigo.com i hope this helps

regards,

beachy.

4. S2K DG

S2K DG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
  5. longleyc

longleyc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You best check the formats. I wonder how many RAW formats will be supported by a non proprietry device? Sounds too good to be true.
    Most storage card device will be formated to FAT32 or if older, FAT16. In fact its the FAT32 spec which only supports the 6GB CF cards.
    You just need a CF to CDR portable storage device which supports ISO CDROMS so the computer will reconise it. You could copy any files to it. Just look for one that supports mp3 playing.

6. S2K DG

S2K DG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Epson P2000 Supports Nikon D100 / D1H / D2H / D1X / D70 (.nef), Canon EOS 300D / D60 / D30 / 10D / 20D / 1D Mark II / 1Ds Mark II, Olympus E-1 / E-300 (Olympus RAW files can only be displayed in the thumbnail screen, not as a full screen image), Konica Minolta Dynax 7 Digital, Pentax ist*DS / ist*D, Epson R-D1.

HTH

7. beachy

beachy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +60
    according to the specifications from the flashtrax and flashtrax xt and the aqua pixman pro they read and display raw files from various models of canon,nikon,fujifilm,olympus,kodak,pentax,konica/minolta.

you will have to look on the above websites to see what models,as there are quite a few to mention.

beachy.

8. drunkenmaster

drunkenmaster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    Hmmmm..... Interesting
    It seems that all three devices mentioned support Raw files for my Canon 300d.
    Thanks for the info

9. ryart

ryart

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +165
    Had a similar problem last year and used an Archos Gmini 220. This has a CF slot allowing you to back up your CF cards to its hard drive. It is also a reasonably good mp3 player. The snag is that you cannot view RAW files to check they are OK :thumbsdow . It survived being bounced about in a saddlebag cycling over French cobbles so seems to be well made. Needless to say it is no NLA but they have the Gmini 120 on their site http://www.archos.com/products/prw_500447.html. With the lower prices for CF cards there is less of a need for this (rather expensive) solution.

10. beachy

beachy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +60
    well i guess if were talking the absolute cheapest way of transfering your photos while on holiday is,fill your memory card up take it into a photoshop get them to transfer it straight onto a CD,costs about a £1 for a couple of hundred photos then download them when you get home job done,only downside is putting a few CD,s in your suitcase or backpack,i don't see that as anything major though.

11. ryart

ryart

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +165
    Excellent idea... Thanks

12. beachy

beachy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +60
    yes this is exactly what i did last year on holiday in thailand,it proved cheap and efficient,beats paying 200 quid + for another device,and i tend to back my photos onto CD,s anyway,as you never know what might happen to your PC,for the sake of a couple of quid better to be safe then sorry.

13. Vection

Vection
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That really depends on where you are going. I went to India for a few weeks and it was impossible to find a photoshop in some places, let alone one capable of making copies onto cd.
    for me personaly there were several points to consider when buying portable storage:-

1) are you going to use this storage solution more than once a year?
    2) will you be going places where you wont have access to cd/dvd buring technology?
    3) How many Memory cards do you have already?
    4) will you end up shelling out for an MP3 player soon (ie christmas presents)

For me personaly it worked out well as I ended up buying a device I use practicaly every day as an mp3 player and has proved invaluable on several occasions in the past year as photo and movie storage.

14. drunkenmaster

drunkenmaster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    Gotta agree with you Vection I am going to India and Know that cd photoshop facilities are few and far between

Just thought about something without the requisite for raw files. Is there a way to directly transfer jpegs from the canon eos 300d directly to an hybrid mp3/photo device (ie Ipod photo) without using a PC.

15. Wannabe-THX

Wannabe-THX
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Might also be worth checking out the Vosonic range. I have the VP2260, which although you cannot see the pictures it reads most cards and has a range from 20GB to 80Gb. This saw me through 3 weeks in the US.

Fish

16. snelly

snelly
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    how about one of these

cant be bad for that price basically it is a 2.5" hard disk caddy that can holds a battery and communicate with CF cards or USB2. I am sure you can find a laptop disk kicking around somewhere - prob have the whole caboodle for £50 or thereabouts.

Cheap and cheerful solution so no screen or preview etc... but as people were discussing CD's perhaps that is not such a problem

Tim

17. ih8modem

ih8modem
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    The Flashtrax xt range has dropped significantly in recent weeks. They used to be 200+ quid, but are to be had anywhere from 90-150 quid (ebay) for the 40 or 80 GB models.

I have one, and for the price, they cant be beaten. Unless you have an old (laptop) hard disk to pop into one of the enclosures mentioned above.

18. HMHB

HMHB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,964
    Has anyone tried the laptop drive caddy as suggested by Snelly ?
    I was wondering what it performed like and does it display the transfer status of the card you are copying etc ?

19. drunkenmaster

drunkenmaster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    There does seem to be some sort of lcd display which apprently does the following:
    LCD : • HDD memory indicator• Amount of battery power• Error reading indicator• Media type indicator• File transfer status• USB access• Charge status)

This with a 40G hard drive ( about £40) works out to about £80 - not bad.

BTW does anybody know if you can transfer RAW files to the Ipod photo or any Ipod out of interest, being able to see them on the display is another matter i presume.

20. HMHB

HMHB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,964
    Cheers, I've actually had another look on that site and there are some user reviews of the caddy which I hadn't seen before :)

21. WibXL

WibXL

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +360
    If you have an ipod photo or video (maybe some of the others with a colour screen as well) you can get a device called Apple iPod Camera Connector for £19.99 plus p+p direct from Apple (search around for better prices) which plugs in to the bottom of your ipod and then when your cards full you just connect up your camera using it's usb cable to the device and copy every thing across.

Jpegs can then be viewed on your ipod but you cannot view raw files. Unfortunatly it's not compatable with every camera out there so have a look at this list first which the 300D isn't on but if it supports PTP it might still work.

To use with my 350D I just need to make sure that it's in PTP mode and then it's just a matter of connecting up and selecting download.

22. Thatsnotmynaim

Thatsnotmynaim

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +224
    I've got one of these to use with an ipod photo and 350d, worked ok but was very slow and as you say does not support raw. I will probably be buying Epson or Jobo Giga Vu.

23. WibXL

WibXL

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +360
    The fact that I can't view the raw files isn't much of a problem to me as I can do that once I transfer them to the PC, like you say it is a bit slow but I can live with it at the moment as it I like that fact that it's quite small and slim enough to easily fit in to my almost full camera bag.

24. WibXL

WibXL

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +360
    EDIT: One other thing that drew me to it was it's price. I got it on Ebay for around £18 so it was a very cheap way for me to get some portable storage and if you already have the ipod I think it's worth considering.

25. drunkenmaster

drunkenmaster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    Thanks for the info, not too worried for transfer speeds so I might buy one of those ipod camera connectors :)

26. WibXL

WibXL

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +360
    Might be worth asking around just to make sure it'll work with your 300d first though.

27. Thatsnotmynaim

Thatsnotmynaim

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +224
  28. HMHB

HMHB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,964
    Ok so I got one of these Camera Buddy devices and it's good at what it does. The battery life does not seem so good though and on testing it appears to run out after about 4x1GB cards.
    Does anyone know if I can get some sort of external battery pack to attach to it via the power socket ? The power socket says 5v DC on it and looks like a standard single socket like you see on mobile phones etc.

29. pjclark1

pjclark1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +271
  30. HMHB

HMHB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,964
    I've bought and just received an external power pack so hopefully this will work with the device I have. If not, it works with loads of different cameras, PDAs, laptops, portable CD/DVD players etc so it won't be money wasted :)
    It also works with Archos devices if I decide to go that route later on