Photo Sharing Thread

stevegreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This thread is for sharing photographs taken. The old thread got up to over 40 pages :eek:

Not especially for critique, just general sharing.

Please make sure that pictures are limited to 800 pixels on their longest edge and if embedding using the [/b] tags then please limit file sizes to [color=red][b]200kb[/b][/color]

Away you go.

My recent trip to Rome.....

http://www.arbu83.dsl.pipex.com/Rome/index.html

All shots taken with my lowly Canon A80 - many indoor shots were taken at ISO 400 which anyone with this cam (or equivalents) will tell you produces untold amounts of noise - noise ninja was used to improve matters...

Steve - I find the long running nature of these threads a little difficult to follow, especially when everyone is posting lots of pics one after the other. Would it be possible to introduce a sub forum instead and therefore we could have separate threads on which to comment? Thanks.

barongreenback said:
Some really good night shots in there. What equipment were you using?

Canon A80 - have edited my post...

Strangely enough, I suggested that to Stuart as I thought that would be the way to go, but, I think if this thread is closed quicker than the old one it shouldn't be as obtrusive.

I am planning to start a new thread every 10 pages or so ;)

Well, I'm planning to add a few of my own soon for some criticism so here's hoping we see many more!

Here's a few photos from my recent snowboarding trip to Caringorm on Monday. I wont take credit for them as they were taken by my friend Chris. I just thought they were nice enough to share. There's lots more but I liked the 1st 3 best. That's me standing on the rock in the last one :D

The conditions were amazing. Some of the best I've seen in the 11 years I've been doing it. Nice pisted runs and lots of untracked powder off-piste. Also managed to got to the Lecht and Glenshee over the weekend too.

Putting into effect what I have been learning all week. Hand held shot taken in aperature priority mode on EOS350D kit lens at 47mm, F5.6, 1/10 sec, ISO 100. Focus looked at bottom of 7 points to highlight the hand.

Would prefer a little more noise in the shot for ambience but pleased and got what I wanted. Tuned up in irfanview ~ slight sharpen, B & W, contrast boost. Finally resized for host/forums.
Thanks for looking, Pete :thumbsup:

Captain Benefit said:
Putting into effect what I have been learning all week. Hand held shot taken in aperature priority mode on EOS350D kit lens at 47mm, F5.6, 1/10 sec, ISO 100. Focus looked at bottom of 7 points to highlight the hand.

Would prefer a little more noise in the shot for ambience but pleased and got what I wanted. Tuned up in irfanview ~ slight sharpen, B & W, contrast boost. Finally resized for host/forums.
Thanks for looking, Pete :thumbsup:

Pete - top shot, I love it. Is a shame that there isn't more smoke coming from the fag but it is a great composition. Has a real "Good Night and Good Luck" feel to it...

Thanks Simon. I am conscious of over egging the pudding with black and white but I always feel that it conveys what I want the picture to look like and feel like, especially when taking pics of people - if that makes sense. Maybe it just carries more?

Out of interest here, would increasing the ISO give me more intentional grain on the shot?

yes! Increasing ISO will add grain/noise. Also, if you have PS or something like that you can add grain to a picture with an effect

it would also help with handheld shots at 1/10! although you do seem to have a steady hand :)

Mum in the morning. We have seen Dad so here is Mum in thought. She battled breast cancer for 18 months and had four operations + part of her back removed and to her credit is still alive today :clap:

Taken on my Sigma 70-300mm lens. Not ideal but was playing around!

Pete :smashin:

nice photos pete i like the sharp detail,i thought i would post these here as they were posted in the wrong thread, some holiday photos from thailand not great i know but be gentle with me as these are my first posts :D

Nice pics beachy :smashin: . That last one should be a warning to everyone who falls asleep while sunbathing in Thailand :eek:

A couple of pics from my january trip to Cuba..... Like Steve Green I have been playing with the History tool in PS.

Original images sharpened, desaturated using Channel Mixer and then colour restored using History tool.

Both images taken with my new 350D (God I love this camera:thumbsup:....never had a DSLR before!, and with kit 18-55mm lens).

Apologies if these arn't up to much (both images area bit soft:oops:), but I am still learning how to use the Canon!

Attachments

• Blue-Taxi1.jpg
    Blue-Taxi1.jpg
    118.2 KB · Views: 162
  • Old-man-with-Newspaper1.jpg
    Old-man-with-Newspaper1.jpg
    118.2 KB · Views: 159
bowenjones said:
Nice pics beachy :smashin: . That last one should be a warning to everyone who falls asleep while sunbathing in Thailand :eek:

thanks bowen, i'm hoping to go back there later this year but this time i will be armed with my new panny fz20, (so hopefully a lot better photos than these) so much to see there but so little time to do it in.

PS. those are great pics gadfium.

Gadfium
I really like your choice of subjects for selective colour, it can look a little old hat but used with a little thought it can really make a photo.
Agree about them looking a little soft have you sharpened them at all as they'll be able to take some more :smashin:

Zone said:
Gadfium
have you sharpened them at all as they'll be able to take some more :smashin:

Cheers for the feedback Zone... in answer, yes I have sharpened them, but may give it another push. Bear in mind that they are fairly heavily compressed in order to get them to an acceptable size to post.

I got the camera abut a week before I went to Cuba, so was really just beginning on the learning curve (though the great thing about digital is that you can see the results quickly and start to learn quite fast (see Captain Benefit's thread for instance). it must have been a royal pain trying to learn in the "good old days" of flm (and damn expensive what with processing costs)....

That history brush is a breeze to use isn't it. I really can add lots of impact to a shot too. Like your examples Gadfium, the old bloke on the wall is a cracker :smashin:

stevegreen said:
the old bloke on the wall is a cracker :smashin:

Cheers for the feedback Steve:thumbsup:.

I have found that I like taking "candid" shots of people, but I need a better technique or a decent zoom (I am toying with getting the 70-200 F4 L...but then have to justify spending £480 on a lens!).

I will mess about with some others that I took and stick them up for criticism.

Gadfium said:
I will mess about with some others that I took and stick them up for criticism.
Surely you mean Critique ;) . If your other pics are as good as those two then there'll be no criticism from me :thumbsup:

Gadfium said:
(I am toying with getting the 70-200 F4 L...but then have to justify spending £480 on a lens!).

As long as you don't start expressing that as 70-200 F4 L then you carry on :laugh:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom