Photo sharing for a youth group

Discussion in 'Photography Forums' started by stuw, Sep 11, 2012.

1. stuw

stuw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Hi All,

I'm a leader with a Scout group, and we often let parents take pictures that we want to put on the group site, but as I'm sure your all aware e-mailing any number of photos is sluggish at best!

I'm trying to find a way that parents can easily upload the pictures they have taken to the leaders computers. This has to be secure for child protection issues and ideally the parents can upload photos but then not see them until they are displayed securely on our site (we use a secure tumblr account).

I have looked at DropBox, and it would be ideal if there was a way to give write but not reed access to a DropBox folder without all users having dropbox? that way all of the leaders can have full access and the parents can upload their images.

Any advice on the best solution would be much appreciated!

Thanks

Stuart

2. highpriest

highpriest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +51
    To be honest, email is probably the simplest way for parents to send photos over to you. To give you a degree of automation, you could use the Upload by Email flickr feature (http://www.flickr.com/account/uploadbyemail/) to upload photo attachments directly to a flickr photostream using a special email address (but remember to set your Default Privacy to Only you (private)).

Tumblr also has something similar. You can share a Dropbox folder but that will give them read and write access. Dropbox doesn't support email to upload but there are third party tools that allow you to do that (but you wouldn't want to use those for obvious reasons).

I'd say stick with email because it involves the least amount of explaining!

Cheers

3. Zone

Zone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,599
    Moved to Photography General Chat

4. stuw

stuw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Thanks both,

My only issue with e-mail is it will often be over 30 photos, so simply won't send!

We think were going to stick with Dropbox, despite the read-write access.

Stuart