Photo editing monitor 24" recommendations

The_kUrGaN

Hi, just built my first PC to try and make editing my photos a bit easier and quicker. I'm not a professional photographer but would like to buy a fairly decent 24" monitor which will handle and reproduce photographs better.

I have my eye on a couple of 24" IPS monitors the Dell Ultrasharp U2412M and the BenQ BL24119T.

Can anyone recommend either or kindly give me other suggestions please?

Dell UltraSharp U2412M 24 inch LCD TFT Monitor (16:10, 1920x1200, 300 cd/m2): Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories

and

BenQ BL2411PT 24 inch Widescreen LCD Monitor (1000:1, 300cd/m2, 5ms, 1920x1200, DVI): Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories

Thanks

PC spec:

onboard graphics
Intel Core i5-4670
250GB Samsung EVO SSD
16GB RAM
MSI Z87-G43 PC Mate Motherboard LGA1150 (Intel Z87).

Erik Lovold

Standard Member
Hi,

I don't have any experience with those monitors. Personally, I use a Thunderbolt display. Anyway, whichever display you get, I would highly recommend you to get a calibrating device as well. X-Rite make some good ones - I have an i1Display and it's been great. What it does is ensure the colour and brightness of your display is correct, by performing a calibration process (made easy with the i1Profiler software). It also has a feature wherein you place it underneath your display and it performs ambient light readings throughout the day and night, changing the colour balance and brightness to get the best possible accuracy.

The_kUrGaN

Thanks. I've heard of the calibration devices, but just wondering how cost effective these are for a £220 monitor? I won't be printing photos, but do want my display to look as good as possible but not sure I really want to get in to obsessing about calibration too much especially as those things aren't cheap. Is it really worth it, just for a hobby photographer?

Erik Lovold

Standard Member
I think it's essential. Base calibration is important and should be done every now and then as the monitor ages, but another thing is the ambient light sensor. My room has quite big windows, and the colour temperature changes dramatically from day to night. The device compensates for this automatically and it makes a huge difference. Even for a hobbyist it's nice to know when you're editing your photos that what you see is what you get.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: CES 2021 Special - Sony, LG, Panasonic, Samsung, TCL and Hisense TV news and more...
Top Bottom