1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Photo CS Help - Colour replacement not working as expected

Discussion in 'Photography Forums' started by DJW, May 12, 2005.

1. DJW

DJW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can't suss this , so need help :lease:

Trying to change a JPG shot of door from green to cream. I choose "colour replacement" tool with :-
    Mode - Colour
    Sampling - Once
    Limits - Contigous
    Tolerance - 30%

I have the foreground colour picked as cream. I click once on green door & then hold button & start replacing colour. Only problem is it replaces Green with a Grey colour. Trying on other dark colours produces same effect. Only when I go onto very light colour does it work .

I'm assuming some transparency from previous colour is coming through, but have no idea where to look to change. Maybe it is something else.

Any experts out there managed to change colours successfully ?

2. dolph

dolph

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    Althought the door looks green, in true RGB colour sense it's probably a mixture of green and some other colour to a lesser extent (Blue?) so that replacing the gream part with cream gives you a mixed cream / blue which I'd expect to be greyish.

Not in from of CS at the moment to test but that sounds like whats going on.

3. tomson

tomson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +187
    have you tried doing it the hue/saturation, colourise route?

4. DJW

DJW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Andrew, seems to make sense, although from examples I have seen in books on subject they have changed a blokes shirt from purple to yellow with no problems using method I described.

Tomson, no have not tried this...will have to look it up in manual ;)

Have attached problem shot. Ignore it is out of focus, as it is background to a shot. Problem is I have paineted one door but not the other at the mo, so it distracts from shot. Basically want both doors to be white/cream.

Attached Files:

5. Peakoverload

Peakoverload

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +177
    I had a very quick play, literally about 30 seconds worth and found that by selecting the colour green with the ink droper and then changing the resulting colour by using Hue and Lightness changes produces results that with more time than 30 seconds spent on it could I think could produce what you are after

6. DJW

DJW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Being new to CS I still have trouble follwoing what you are sugesting, but will endevor to read the manual in more depth on subjects you mention. Thanks.

Still surpised "colour replacement" doesn't work as specified in book I have :confused:

7. dejongj

dejongj
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,482
    Dave, the trouble with tools like photoshop is that there are so many ways that lead to Rome...In a figure of speak...

The way that I would take is:
    Step 1: Find out what the colour is in the green door and note it down
    Step 2: Use the magic wand (the icon looks like one) to select all parts of the cream door, it works based upon colour definition so you may be lucky and get it selected in one go, otherwise hold the shift button to combine various selection.
    Step 3: You can skip this, but I prefer to work on another layer, CTRL-J to copy your selection to another layer...
    Step 4: Select the layer you just copied and it should only have the cream door on it
    Step 5: No open hue/saturation and enter the values for the green door. You combined picture should now have a green door, but as it is on a different layer you can easily experiment with it...

8. dejongj

dejongj
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,482
    I forgot...One of my favourite books is the Scott Selby "... for digital photographers" series for either Photoshop or Photoshop elements. Very little theory behind every option on the screen, so it won't make you an expert in technical speak, however it just practically shows you how to do these kind of common things with digital photo's. Some people don't like his weird sense of humour, I tend to just scan over it...

9. DJW

DJW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers. Followed advice & managed to get the effect I was after :thumbsup: .

Currently have a book by Martin Evening, that is very good, although with all these things reality is some what different from theory :suicide: