1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Photo Competition.

Discussion in 'Photography Forums' started by stevegreen, Nov 23, 2004.

1. stevegreen

stevegreen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +984
    I have had various PM's from people regarding this months photo competition.

The jist of the PM's in general has been a general disquiet about people submitting 'archived' pictures and not actually going out there to take a picture specifically for the competition.

Whilst I agree with the thoughts, there is actually no way to police this apart from maybe stipulating that people post the EXIF info along with the pictures. Again, this is not a guarantee as this could be edited and some people might not have that information available.

Shortly after the launch of the competition, there wqas a suggestion that maybe it should be run every two weeks but obviously once a month is the best format to stick to as it gives people time to actually go out and grab a picture specifically for the competition.

There is not going to be a rule change on this as it would be idiotic in my opinion to put strict limits on what people can and can't enter, but, having said that, I think that there will be numerous members who will not vote for a picture, no matter how good it is, unless it has been taken especially for the competition.

Does anyone else have any thoughts on this?

2. dolph

dolph

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    I thought the idea of the photo competition was a bit of fun and a nice way to showcase photo's - I don't think the fact I'm pretty busy generally at the moment and haven't had an opportunity to go out and take a photo for the comp should exclude me from being involved - having said that it would also appear a waste of my time entering if others are of the opinion as discussed above...

Edit: That didn't quite come out right - obviously it's not a waste of my time - I have had some nice feedback on my photo... are we not all taking the competition a bit too seriously...?

3. stevegreen

stevegreen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +984
    The competition was desinged for a bit of fun, you are right, and, maybe some people are taking it more seriously than others. Submitting an 'archived' photo will not exclude you from the competition, but, may affect the voting at the end of it. I was denied a vote in last months competition which was not based on the photo but the circumstances in which it was taken, fair enough.

I certainly don't want to make rules that will exclude people from entering but it needs to be said that there will be people who will vote for a picture taken specifically for the competition over that of an 'archived' picture no matter what the quality/interpretation etc.

Be this right or wrong is immaterial in my opinion, but i think there is an opinion that people should try and make the effort. I know not everyone can :)

4. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,364
    I did down mark some shoots in the original competition for what looked archive material.

As the competition is for fun a do not see why the photos have to be David Bailey stuff.

5. Mylo

Mylo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +372
    I agree with Steve and Garrett, this comp is only a bit of fun after all.

If any of us don't have time to take a pic for the comp then by not entering you've lost nothing. With the topics so open to interpretation, taking a shot however good or bad won't really take up much time will it?

I personally will be voting for a new photo as it's more in the spirit of things.

Regards, Mylo :)

6. stevegreen

stevegreen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +984
    Agreed Garrett. Actually there is no chance whatsoever of me ever taking a David Bailey shot :laugh:

7. dolph

dolph

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    Just had a quick look through - and I'd say more than half (alright I'm sad and I counted, 17 out of 27) were not taken either during the competition time frame or for specifically for the competition.

Had to be slightly subjective but I'm pretty sure I've been fair - just think that's interesting...

8. Adrenochrome

Adrenochrome

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +207
    I Like the idea of the competition actually getting people out and about to take a pic specifically for the comp :thumbsup: Or in my case sending Mrs Chrome to the shop for a chocolate bar :laugh: :blush:

Adrenochrome.

9. stevegreen

stevegreen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +984
    100% agree

Thats just lost you your only vote :laugh:

10. Adrenochrome

Adrenochrome

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +207
    D'oh :suicide: :laugh:

11. seany

seany
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    It is fun of course, i'd have thought part of that fun was getting us all thinking about photography and the challange set to us for the month. Not much of a challange sifting through archives in my opinion, and i have more or less a couple of 1000 photos that would mean i'd not have to take a single shot for this comp for ages:laugh:

I went to a lake on a cold sunday morning and came back with better shots that had nothing to do with flight:laugh: I could have just used the hotair ballon that went over our place last summer. But where's the "fun" in that:confused:

12. stevegreen

stevegreen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +984
    But only if the theme was to do with women over 65 in black tight fitting rubber clothing eh Sean ;) :nono: :laugh:

Sorry, serious thread, but I couldn't resist it.

Back on topic.

You certainly do get more satisfaction in going out there and taking the pic even if you do get some strange stares whilst loitering round the stairs at the local shopping centre :eek:

13. seany

seany
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    :laugh:

Rubber brings me out in a rash:rolleyes:

Don't ask me how i know that:blush:

14. Adrenochrome

Adrenochrome

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +207
    Are you trying to tell us you don't always get strange stares when you go out :eek: :laugh:

15. stevegreen

stevegreen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +984
    Depends who I am with mate ;)

16. stevegreen

stevegreen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +984
    Back on topic please...................and yes, i know i took it off topic. So i'm steering it back on

17. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,364
    Re the cooption how do you resize the picture when you have it the right dimensions ie 800*600 but the size of the file is too big. When I alter the resolution the picture size drops.

18. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,364
    Not quite what I was meaning, like this months competition flight even if you entered a crap photo it is just for fun. I’m entering one now when I can get it sorted but do not think it will win as I like some of the others but what the heck it no ones life.

19. Mylo

Mylo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +372
    The fun bit was what I was agreeing with you about, as you say it's not someones life is it.
    The rest of the ramblings are all my own view and badly written at that :suicide:

20. rhoamish

rhoamish

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    At first, I thought we should be allowed to enter archive pictures, but I now agree with others: we should see this as a fun reason to get out and take a picture for a specific subject. I was really struggling with this month's topic, trying to find a different angle: I like that this competition makes me think.

I don't think a ban is necessary, though: as someone said, if people feel strongly about it, they won't vote for an archive picture! I don't think I would either, unless it was exceptional.

Perhaps we could just actively discourage archive pictures, rather than banning them? I think we should avoid too many rules.

21. Phil Hinton

Phil Hinton
    Editor Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,140
    I would love to have the time to go out and take fresh photos for the comp, but I just don't have the time these days. I will refrain from entering again if I cannot get out and get a picture for the comp.

22. electrolyte

electrolyte

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,077
    The competition is just supposed to be a bit of fun. I have chosen to go out each month and take a photo specifically for the comp. But if others haven't got the time and submit an old photo then I don't have a problem with this. I just enjoy seeing other people's photos and interpretations of the theme. doesn't matter if they've been taken that month or not really.

23. stevegreen

stevegreen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +984
    I don't think anyone has mentioned a ban on archived photos, and I certainly wouldn't advocate that anyway.

I also agree that we shouldn't have too many rules.

Phil, this was not aimed at anyone in particular and I think that the fact that you openly said that you didn't have time to grab a photo is a credit to you :smashin:

24. minimad

minimad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What software are you using?

Changing the resolution will alter the picture size.

If you're using PS or Elements, alter the dpi to 72 and before you click ok, change the resolution back to 800 x 600. You may lose quality though.

Again, if you're using PS or Elements, there's a Save option called "Save for Web". In there you can specify a file size (under optimize). The program will then automatically apply compression to the right size.

If this doesn't make sense, let me know and I will post a tutorial.

Collin

25. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,364
    I think imagination has a lot to do with the photo as well as getting out, this months compo e.g. I was thinking of taking a picture of this and calling it Flight of the Phoenix before I managed to take the one I'm entering.

Last month a empty snail shell almost won it for HOME, I think the competition improves the way you see shot and also gives you ideas.

Attached Files:

26. stevegreen

stevegreen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +984
    what is that you would have been taking a picture of Garrett, is it a figure or a picture?

27. Mylo

Mylo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +372
    Phil your honesty straight off the mark is commendable, sorry if any way my poorly chosen words put you off entering again. :smashin:

I can't wait to see what angle you've taken this month Garrett:thumbsup:

Who's she by the way?

28. Mr Cat

Mr Cat
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +57
    aswell, I guess was the topic is...I dare say it would be easier if the topic was accessible to the wider audience...

29. stevegreen

stevegreen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +984
    It was certainly a challenge and that's what it's about, putting your thinking cap on and getting a pic thats as 'on topic' as possible. I think the variation in submissions is brilliant this month by the way.

30. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,364
    Angle or Angel :cool:
    She is The Phoenix and is what Jean Grey becomes in the X-Men, It is a figure I have of her.

I have Photoshop Elements guys I was having trouble but found un ticking constraining proportions works but at 72 pixels my files are still to big anyone know what number of pixels per inch is the optimum to get the picture the right size for the competition?