1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Photo comp...new idea

Discussion in 'Photography Forums' started by Pete Delaney, Jul 30, 2005.

1. Pete Delaney

Pete Delaney

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +598
    Ok this month I have completely washed out with regards to submitting a photo for the 'strange' theme....I could just put in a photo and add a very tenuous link i.e. 'look at this car it seems to be parked strangely' etc.....

So how about this for an idea. Lets all submit a photo of the month theme, perhaps even more than one. Then let's vote on it. :rolleyes: The best vote gets into the competition...I'm not sure that this would work for every month but it would be good to do it just the once :thumbsup:

I would go for something like ... bird in flight (we all get to see birds flying about) or nicest smile (to give you chance for portrait work)... these are just ideas...

So folks, Seany....what do you think????? :rolleyes:

PS Is there a specific date that we vote for the best picture? I was saving the world last month and missed the voting :D

2. stevegreen

stevegreen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +984
    I take your point mate, but, this month has been a particularly hard month to get a shot for. I know that I struggled as much as other people. I also think the difficulty is indicated by the fact that winner of last month's comp and therefore the chooser of the theme for this month also found it difficult and didn't submit a picture.

I am still happy that the 'one-word' rule for the theme is a good one and does allow for plenty of interpretation and flexibility. Something like 'Bird in Flight' as you suggested would narrow the field of play too much and possibly exclude people who don't have a realtively decent camera to catch such a moment. This would reduce entries even more than a really difficult theme.

At the end of the day, this com,p was set up for a little bit of fun, it's not too serious and it does give people here a chance to take a picture and have it ripped to pieces in the nicest possible way, of course, there is also a prize for the winner.

The voting thread carries all the details on when voting closes, in this months case it is on Mionday 1st August at about 9am ;)

3. Pete Delaney

Pete Delaney

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +598
    No worries Steve...it was just a thought.... :rolleyes:

4. stevegreen

stevegreen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +984
    Keep 'em coming too. It's good that people want to get involved and develop this part of the forum. I may have started it, but I don't own it and am willing to enhance it as much as possible!

:smashin:

5. seany

seany
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    We had "flight" one time and that had a lot of scope from birds to planes. I think the most important thing is that the theme must be well thought out. To be honest this months theme wasn't as Geordie never managed to think of something to enter and he got to deside on the theme . That's not a pop at you Geordie;) Just was a bit out there for this forum.

This is still mainly a forum where many who'll enter are casual camera users. So i think seeing as it's that way, a theme is needed to attract a good number.

6. stevegreen

stevegreen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +984
    .........and staircases :laugh:

7. seany

seany
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Best thing to do is think about what you'd pick during the hole of the comp, not just when you win it. The theme makes the comps, give some good thought to it